PLANS by STV for a head-to-head debate between Alex Salmond and Alistair Darling in front of an audience of 500 at the Assembly Rooms have been thrown into doubt after negotiations broke down amid rancour between the two sides.
Better Together indicated Mr Darling would not take part in the televised debate, claiming STV had “rolled over” and agreed to change the original date of July 16 at the behest of Mr Salmond.
The Yes campaign wanted the debate moved to after the Commonwealth Games, which end on August 3.
And now Better Together has said it has accepted an invitation for Mr Darling from the BBC for a debate on August 12.
No campaign insiders claimed STV had agreed to postpone the debate despite previously saying the July date was “non-negotiable”.
One said: “That hardline stance lasted until Salmond decided that, even although he was free on that date, he didn’t fancy debating Alistair. STV have simply rolled over.”
But a spokesman for Mr Salmond said: “This outburst at STV from the No campaign shows they are rattled.”