Prestonpans pool staff evacuated over chemicals

Fire crews attended the scene. Picture: Rob McDougall
Fire crews attended the scene. Picture: Rob McDougall
1
Have your say

staff had to be evacuated after a chemical spill at a leisure centre.

Firefighters were called to the Mercat Gait centre in Prestonpans, East Lothian, at around 10.40pm last night, where they discovered a small spillage of calcium hypochlorite, which is widely used for water treatment and as a bleaching agent.

No-one was injured in the incident.

A fire service spokeswoman said crews from Musselburgh and Tranent attended at the scene along with two special appliances and three officers.

She added: “Centre staff were evacuated and a cordon set up before the room was fully vented.

“The incident was then handed over to centre management.”