Promoters hit out at Hardwell cancellation

A promotional poster for DJ Hardwell's Capital gig. Picture: comp
A promotional poster for DJ Hardwell's Capital gig. Picture: comp
18
Have your say

Music promoters have criticised police over a decision to cancel a sold-out gig by “the world’s best DJ” hours before it was due to start.

Superstar DJ Hardwell was due to play to a capacity crowd at The Royal Highland Centre on Saturday, but the event was shelved at 11th hour due to “safety concerns”.

It comes after drink and drug-fuelled unrest at his gig in Belfast on Thursday, which saw more than 100 youngsters treated by paramedics

Event director Olaf Furniss said: “This apparent knee-jerk decision sets a dangerous precedent.

“It worries me that a music event on this scale can be cancelled at such short notice, apparently because of what happened at another show with different age limits.

“I find it difficult to believe that any safety issues relating to the event would not have been raised a long time ago.”

Around 7,500 fans from all over the country were due to attend Saturday’s show, the only Scottish date on DJ Hardwell’s world tour.

The Dutch DJ, whose real name is Robbert van de Corput, was last year voted the number one DJ in DJ Magazine’s annual Top 100 DJs poll, making him the youngest ever to head the list at the age of 25.

Nightclub boss Donald MacLeod said: “Little wonder people are asking if this is now a police state we are living in.

“On the surface the decision has been based on events in Belfast. But an over 16s event in Northern Ireland is vastly different from an over 18s event in Scotland.”

In 2010 a music promoter sued Manchester City Council for a six-figure sum over a cancelled concert.

dawn.morrison@edinburghnews.com