Pupils back at school after asbestos triggered closure

0
Have your say

PUPILS and staff returned to Flora Stevenson Primary School this morning after an asbestos scare.

The school was shut down on Thursday last week with all pupils evacuated to nearby Broughton High School after it was discovered the substance had been disturbed by workmen.

The council said tests had shown the school was safe and a full cleaning took place over the weekend.

On Friday, the Evening News told how parents were “horrified” by the possibility their children might have been exposed to the asbestos, which was disturbed “out of hours”.

They were informed the pupils were being moved out of the school just after 11am on Thursday morning – around two hours after lessons began.

Council head of schools Mike Rosendale said: “We are now satisfied after rigorous testing that Flora Stevenson’s Primary School is safe and ready to be reopened.

“I would like to thank all of the staff at the school for their prompt response and assistance over the last few days. They played a vital role in ensuring a smooth transfer of pupils to a nearby high school as a temporary measure.

“I would also like to thank parents again for their support and cooperation throughout.”