Restaurant hit by insect rap

5
Have your say

A CHINESE restaurant has been fined £1500 after environmental health inspectors found a beetle infestation.

Saigon Saigon, in South Saint Andrew Street, was forced to close for two days in November 2011 after checks revealed the outbreak. Inspectors also found kitchen staff left raw meat lying on a dirty floor next to cleaning products.

Owner Hoa Vinh Pham, 80, was at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday to admit failing to protect against contamination likely to render food unfit for human consumption.

Councillor Lesley Hinds, the city’s environment leader, said: “This sends out a clear message to all food business operators that they must adhere to food hygiene requirements or face the consequences.”