Ryze faces legal fight over neck break injury

Chris McKenna was injured at the Ryze centre. Picture: Deadline
Chris McKenna was injured at the Ryze centre. Picture: Deadline
0
Have your say

A MAN who suffered a suspected broken neck at a trampoline park is suing the operators for more than £100,000.

Chris McKenna was one of more than 100 people recorded as injured at Ryze in Dalkeith within the first three weeks of its opening.

Lawyers for Mr McKenna are dealing with his complaint against the centre and the case could be lodged at the Court of Session before the summer.

It is understood that around a dozen people who allege they suffered injuries at Ryze in January and February this year are pressing forward with personal injury claims.

The other cases typically involve injuries to backs, shoulders and ankles.

Ryze staff recorded 102 injuries to customers in just a few weeks after it opened on January 23. It emerged a few days later that the facility had been operating without a licence.

Mr McKenna, 49, said he suffered excruciating pain and heard his neck crack after falling badly on a trampoline.

Following the accident, the self-employed father-of-one was put in a neck brace and said he was left unable to work and facing a possible operation to insert a metal plate in his neck.

Ryze bosses have said they had yet to see details of the claim but were prepared to defend themselves.

Mr McKenna’s wife, Claire, 39, was eight months pregnant at the time of the accident.

She said they would not be commenting but a source close to the case, who asked not to be identified, confirmed that Mr McKenna was pursuing a “six-figure” sum.

Ryze has 60 connected trampolines and customers are allowed to bounce between them. The facility reopened to the public on Thursday after being closed for six weeks.

Midlothian Council has issued a licence to the facility with conditions limiting the maximum number of people on the trampoline to 125 at any one time. At least one trained first aider must be available at all times.

A spokesman for solicitor Digby Brown, which is representing some of those injured at the park, declined to comment on specific cases, but said: “We’ve got around a dozen cases we are investigating.

“We think the majority would be worth over £5000. We’ve had injuries that are back and shoulder injuries, and ankles, right up to serious fractures and breaks.”

A spokesman for Ryze said “We have yet to receive Mr McKenna’s claim, but we will vigorously defend it. We have CCTV footage on the incident and this conflicts with Mr McKenna’s version of events.

“The overwhelming majority of customers have had a fun – and safe – experience. We are very clear that customers using our trampoline parks do so safely and responsibly, and are mindful of their own limitations.”