Sir Sean Connery ‘doesn’t have Alzheimer’s’

Sir Sean Connery's publicist denied that he has been suffering from Alzheimer's. Picture: Cristina Cano
Sir Sean Connery's publicist denied that he has been suffering from Alzheimer's. Picture: Cristina Cano
6
Have your say

Sir Sean Connery’s publicist has denied that the Scots actor is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.

She spoke out after his close friend Sir Michael Caine was quoted as saying the Edinburgh-born was “no longer in control of his senses”.

Sir Michael Caine raised fears over the 007 actor’s health in an interview with a German newspaper, Bild.

Caine, 80, was quoted as saying: “One must have serious concerns for him.”

Caine said Sir Sean was becoming increasingly confused, often not knowing where he was, and suffering from memory loss. Bild said Sir Sean’s memory loss was “noticeable” and that only a few close friends and confidantes, like Caine, had access to the 83-year-old actor.

The story in Europe’s biggest-selling Sunday newspaper appeared under the headline “Connery forgets his life”.

But Sir Sean’s publicist, Los Angeles-based Nancy Seltzer, suggested last night that Caine may have been misquoted.

Ms Seltzer, who described the story as “ridiculous”, added: “This is truly silly and nonsense.”

In 2011, Ms Seltzer confirmed that Edinburgh-born Sir Sean had officially retired from public appearances but said he was in good health “mentally and physically”.

This is not the first time the actor’s health has come under the spotlight. He has previously received radiation treatment to remove nodules from his vocal cords.