Six treated after carbon monoxide leak

0
Have your say

SIX people have been treated in hospital after a carbon monoxide leak at a property in the Lothians.

Fire crews from Dalkeith rushed to the site of the incident in Newbyres Crescent, Gorebridge, after an emergency call was received at 6.23am yesterday.

They said there had been a sudden “build-up” of carbon monoxide, with firefighters and gas board staff working together to isolate the gas supply and ventilate the property.

Five men and one woman were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for further examination and treatment after gas exposure, but it is understood no-one sustained life-threatening injuries.

Investigation teams said there was no sign of suspicious circumstances.

Firefighters were also dispatched to a second fire which broke out at around 5pm yesterday, after teams at Tollcross and McDonald Road received an emergency call about a blaze in a tenement stair in the Lawnmarket.

They said they were faced with smoke billowing out from the building’s third floor upon arrival - caused by a pile of rubbish which had caught fire.

All occupants had successfully escaped the building and there was no need for rescue action by crews, they added.

A 26-year-old female was given oxygen at the scene of the blaze after suffering smoke inhalation but did not require hospital treatment.