He is one of the greatest players ever to grace the turf at Easter Road – but despite his status, calls to name a new street after Hibs legend Lawrie Reilly have been blocked by council red tape.
But while Edinburgh City Council insists a street can only be named after someone who passed away over ten years ago, the rest of the world seems far more relaxed, with football legends and sporting stars celebrated everywhere from Avenida Jose Mourinho in Portugal to the Tim Cahill Expressway in Sydney, Australia.
The Evening News is calling on the council to relax its rules to name a street beside the Hibs stadium after Famous Five striker Reilly – and today, as we reveal just some of the other legends accorded the honour in their lifetime, the call was backed by Leith Labour councillor Gordon Munro, who joined Mr Reilly’s widow, Iris, Cllr Alex Lunn of the SNP and Hibs legend Pat Stanton in support of the campaign.
Mr Munro urged the council to relax its “overly pedantic” policy, “especially for someone who has made such a significant and recognised contribution to the history of an area”. And he added: “It may also cause problems with the proposed renaming of Festival Square after Nelson Mandela.”
Mr Reilly, the club’s record championship goalscorer, passed away in July last year at the age of 84.
What’s Ritchie Humphreys got that Lawrie’s not?
1. Sir Alex Ferguson Way This Old Trafford-adjacent street was renamed in October
2. Donald Driver Way One of seven Green Bay Packers hailed in Wisconsin
3. John Charles Way A Leeds street was renamed after the footballer who died in 2004
4. Ritchie Humphreys Drive A Hartlepool street is named after the Chesterfield player
5. Mesut Ozil Street The German footballer, born in Turkey, had a Turkish street named after him in 2012
6. Avenida Jose Mourinho The Portuguese manager was recognised in his birthplace of Setubal
7. Park Ji-Sung Road The first living footballer to be honoured in this way by South Korea
8. Emmanuel Emenike Street The street in Lagos, Nigeria, was renamed after the international striker
9. Rue Marc Vivien Foe The street in Lyon, France, was named after the midfielder who died in 2003
10. Tim Cahill Expressway The midfielder was honoured in his Sydney hometown last June
11. Paula Radcliffe Way The long distance runner had a Bedford street named after her in 2003
12. Chay Blyth Place The first person to sail non-stop westwards around the world was honoured by his Hawick hometown
13. Wayne Gretzky Parkway The Ontario street was renamed in honour of the ice hockey player
14. Muhammad Ali Boulevard The legendary boxer was honoured in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky
15. Roger Federer Allee The Swiss tennis player has a street named after him in Halle, Germany
16. Greg Chappell Street The former Australian cricket captain had a Brisbane street named after him last November
17. Jack Nicklaus Drive The street in North Palm Beach, Florida, was renamed after the golfing champion
18. George Best Airport Formerly Belfast City Airport, it was named after the footballer in 2006 following his death the previous year
19. John Walker Drive The New Zealand Olympic runner has a street named after him in Auckland