Toddler’s bedroom ceiling caves in just before bed

Michayla Stark with children Kyle, five, Kieran, three, and two-year-old twins Cerys and Rhys. Picture: Ian Rutherford
Michayla Stark with children Kyle, five, Kieran, three, and two-year-old twins Cerys and Rhys. Picture: Ian Rutherford
0
Have your say

A TODDLER “could have been killed” when her bedroom ceiling caved in just minutes before she was put to bed.

Michayla Stark said it was a stroke of luck that two-year-old Cerys, who suffers from a breathing condition, was not already sleeping when the attic flooded into her room.

The incident happened at 8pm on Tuesday night – around an hour after Cerys is usually put to bed.

But Cerys’ dad Steven Greig had been running late with the children’s bath time and they had been relaxing downstairs, unaware of what was about to happen upstairs.

It was only when Mr Greig walked into Cerys’ room, with her just behind him, that the ceiling caved in before his eyes – right on top of the little girl’s bed.

The incident happened just a day after council contractors Amey fitted a new central heating system in the Currie council house.

Cerys, who was born 11 weeks premature alongside twin brother Rhys, is very small for her age and still fits in 9-12 month clothes.

Ms Stark, a nursery assistant, said: “It probably would have been fatal for her if it had happened when she was in bed. Luckily we hadn’t put her in bed when it came down. We were all really upset.

“Cerys should have been in bed at that time. In a way I was grateful, but at the same time I was so angry. As soon as I saw it, I instantly saw red. Contractors are paid to do their job but they never did it properly.”

Now the family fears that around £800 of Christmas presents for Cerys and her three siblings, which had been hidden in the attic, have been ruined with water damage.

The flooding has also caused significant damage to new carpets that were laid just six weeks ago.

Ms Stark, of Dolphin Road, is relieved that no-one was hurt but has been left reeling by the incident – while the council has issued an apology.

She and Mr Greig, 32, have been trying to stay calm for the sake of the twins and their brothers Kyle, five, and Kieran, three.

A spokeswoman for the city council said: “We would like to sincerely apologise to the Stark family about this incident, which appears to have been caused by contractors who were carrying out work to the central heating system. Council staff made the ceiling safe as soon as they were alerted, and the contractors are in discussion with the family regarding replacement of damaged items.”

kaye.nicolson@edinburghnews.com