Man tried to warn woman before she was hit by bus

The woman was struck by a number 41 bus. Picture: Kenny Smith
The woman was struck by a number 41 bus. Picture: Kenny Smith
23
Have your say

A MAN made a desperate bid to warn a woman of an approaching bus just seconds before she was knocked down in the city centre.

The woman suffered a head injury when she was struck by a westbound number 41 bus at 11.10am yesterday.

She was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where she remains in a serious but stable condition.

The incident was the second bus crash involving a pedestrian in just two weeks, following a fatal collision on Frederick Street which claimed the life of arts figure Roderick Lakin MBE.

After yesterday’s incident, the west end of Princes Street was closed for just over an hour while collision investigators took statements.

Now police are calling on a man seen on CCTV footage to come forward and assist their investigation.

He was captured by an on-street camera and appeared to be trying to warn the victim about an oncoming bus just before she was struck. He was then lost to sight, and officers are keen to speak to him.

The man is described as white with a very slim build, facial hair and possibly fair coloured hair. He had been wearing black/dark-coloured clothing, and cargo trousers which may have been part of a uniform.

Police Constable Dominic Doyle said: “We have spoken with a number of people who witnessed this incident as part of our ongoing investigation.

“However, through the course of our inquiries, we have identified a man who, it seems, was doing his best to warn the woman about the danger she was in.

“He was seen crossing near McDonald’s in the direction of the Castle before he was lost from view.

“There is absolutely no suggestion that this man did anything wrong but I would ask him to please contact police on 101 so that we can record what happened.”

Onlookers reported seeing the woman being hit by the number 41 bus – which was on its route to Cramond – and lying on the ground.

She was reported to have tried to get up off the ground just as the police and ambulance services arrived.

A spokesman for Lothian Buses said: “We can confirm that there has been an incident involving a pedestrian and one of our vehicles. Staff assisted emergency services at the scene and we will support police as they investigate the incident.”

City centre councillor Joanna Mowat said she was concerned to hear about the second serious incident in such a short space of time.

She said: “My sympathies are with those involved. If anyone does have information, please do come forward so we can get to the bottom of this.”

The earlier incident on Frederick Street on August 19 prompted fresh fears about the short period of time pedestrians have to cross the busy junction. Cllr Mowat said: “We have not heard any reports coming forward about the signalling there. We have to think about what to do about that.”