A SPATE of smashes at a notorious accident blackspot has prompted campaigners to draw up an action plan to tackle the problem.
Campaigners have spent years calling for improvements to be made on a stretch of Lower Granton Road.
And a crash on Monday night – the second in just a month – has fuelled fears that someone could be killed unless action is taken quickly to deal with the issue.
A motorist was taken to hospital after veering off the road into a parked car and hitting two properties at around 6.45pm on Monday.
The latest crash comes just weeks after a motorist ploughed into three houses, writing off several parked vehicles and causing structural damage to a property.
The 20-year-old driver and a passenger were taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary with minor injuries after the incident in the early hours of the morning. Residents said the recent removal of a double bend at nearby Trinity Crescent had prompted an increase in the amount of traffic using the road – despite the works being carried out to reduce the accident rate.
Frequent speeding has been blamed at the blackspot between house numbers 100-145 Lower Granton Road, which has seen more than 100 accidents in a decade.
Electronic speeding signs and a pedestrian crossing have been added to the road in recent years, but David Jamieson, of Wardie Bay Residents’ Association, said this week’s incident proved more needed to be done.
Mr Jamieson, who lives and works nearby, said: “The road was built in the 1850s and cannot cope with the current traffic.
“There is an accident on average every six months. They are pretty serious crashes, and now there has been two within a month.
“I think some people are driving too fast and losing control.”
Last month’s incident prompted Councillor Allan Jackson to call for the local authority to move the road ten feet away from the terrace homes. Despite the campaigners’ calls for the road to be relocated between Wardie Steps and Granton Square to protect properties and pedestrians, the city council said the cost of the work would run into millions of pounds.
However, members of the community have now joined forces with other agencies to come up with a plan to tackle the long-running issue.
City transport chief Councillor Lesley Hinds said: “We have formed a working group with local councillors, officers and residents and are putting together an action plan for maintaining the safety of the road.
“We are taking on board the concerns of residents and will hopefully be able to take these actions forward to make the area safer.”