Two women were taken to hospital after a kitchen fire in the early hours of this morning.
Fire crews from Dalkeith and Musselburgh were called to the property in Bruce Gardens, Dalkeith, at 3.47am.
A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “On arrival our crews found the property was smoke logged and there was a fire in the kitchen that was extinguished by removal.”
It is believed the blaze broke out after a pan of food was left unattended.
Two women were rescued and taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary with “slight” smoke inhalation.