Two saved from Edinburgh kitchen fire

Firefighters were called shortly before 2am. Picture: Tony Marsh

Firefighters were called shortly before 2am. Picture: Tony Marsh

0
Have your say

Two people were rescued from their flat after a fire in the kitchen of their home in Harrismith Place, Edinburgh early this morning.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) crews responded after a 999 call was made at 1.51am and appliances were immediately sent from McDonald Road, Marionville and Tollcross fire stations.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus quickly extinguished a chip pan fire within the kitchen and requested an ambulance to attend so the occupants could be assessed by paramedics.

Two casualties, one female and one male, were rescued from the property and received treatment at the scene by the ambulance service. They did not require hospital treatment.

Group Commander Tam McGrath said: “More fires begin in the kitchen than in any other room of the house and traditional chip pans are a particularly high fire risk. We would urge everyone take a few simple steps to keep themselves and those around them safe.

“By never leaving pans unattended while in use and by keeping any flammable materials, such as kitchen towels, etc., away from sources of ignition, we can dramatically reduce the chance of fire starting.

“Chip pan fires very quickly spread flames, toxic smoke and heat so having early warning is vital to preventing serious injury or worse. There is much less chance of someone being seriously hurt or killed by fire if a house is protected by working smoke alarms.

“Smoke alarms prevent injuries and deaths caused by fire and they also limit the damage to property by allowing firefighters the chance to respond earlier to extinguish the fire. Working smoke alarms provide householders with a very early warning that will enable them to escape the property during the early stages of a fire.

“Crews across Edinburgh and in every community throughout Scotland routinely visit members of the public in their own homes to offer advice and to fit smoke alarms to help them stay safe from fire.

“If you or someone you know could benefit from a visit, please join Scotland’s fight against fire and request a visit by calling the SFRS freephone number 0800 0731 999, by texting ‘check’ to 61611 or by contacting their local fire station.”

A wide range of tips on how to keep yourself and your home safe from fire are available on the SFRS website: www.firescotland.gov.uk