Worried neighbour beats bedroom fire

0
Have your say

A CONCERNED neighbour averted a more serious incident when he went to check on an elderly woman and discovered she had fallen in her bedroom, causing a lamp to topple over and start a fire.

Firefighters were called to Ashley Gardens in the Shandon area of Edinburgh at 8pm on Wednesday.

A resident worried that he had not seen his 89-year-old neighbour went to investigate and discovered that she had fallen in her bedroom. She had knocked over a lamp which had set fire to bedclothes, which were smouldering.

He was able to extinguish the fire and call for an ambulance which, in turn, notified Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service.

The elderly neighbour suffered a suspected shoulder injury.