FROM Wham bars to Angel Delight, and from potato smileys to fish finger sandwiches, the food we ate as kids was ace.
Sometimes, we wish we didn’t have to be grown ups and could just live off sugar-filled snacks and school dinners again.
Well, it turns out that you can, right here in some of Edinburgh’s finest establishments – WOW247 Edinburgh takes you on a trip down memory lane with this amazing selection that’ll take you right back to the 90s with one bite or sip.
Banana split at Bert’s Bar
For a grown-up twist on a childhood classic, head to this west end bar pronto.
Bert’s Bar, 29-31 William Street,
Hot chocolate float at Mary’s Milk Bar
This wasn’t something we ever had as kids, but we definitely should have. Hot chocolate and ice cream float: two childhood classics combined into one dreamy drink.
• Mary’s Milk Bar, 19 Grassmarket, EH1 2HS – marysmilkbar.com/
Bangers and mash at Mum’s Great Comfort Food
Let Mum’s do what they do best, and transport you back to the good old days of home cooking and school dinners with a hearty bowl of bangers and mash.
• Mum’s, 4A Forrest Road, EH1 2NQ – monstermashcafe.co.uk
Sugar coma milkshake at Burger
Sugar coma milkshake isn’t this drink’s official name, but come on, just look at it! It’s not even on the menu yet, but keep your fingers crossed and this bad boy could make all your dreams come true.
• Burger, 94A Fountainbridge, EH3 9QA – burgeruk.co.uk/
Cheese toastie and chocolate milk from Meltmongers
Always our after-school snack of choice, and now you could be transported back to a childhood in front of your favourite cartoons in your lunch hour with this winning combo from Meltmongers.
• Meltmongers, 80 Bruntsfield Place, EH10 4GH
Ice cream sundae at Byron Burger
Because you’re never too old for a Knickerbocker Glory.
• Byron, 29-31 North Bridge, EH1 1SF – byronhamburgers.com
Penny sweets from Bains
We can’t promise they’re all still a penny, but a retro pick ‘n’ mix is definitely still the best way to blow your pocket money.
• Bains Retro Sweets, 37 Grassmarket, EH1 2HS – bainsretrosweets.com
Sweet-inspired cocktails at Candy Bar
The grown-up way to get your daily sugar hit.
• Candy Bar, George Street, EH2 4JN – candybaredinburgh.co.uk
Alcoholic slushies from Hoot the Redeemer
If you thought slush puppies were the greatest way to cool off on a hot day, you were wrong. These alcoholic slushies are even better.
• Hoot the Reedemer, 7 Hanover Street, EH2 1DJ – hoottheredeemer.com
Jammy Dodger cupcakes from Cuckoo’s
Jammy Dodgers always were the best biscuit – made even better when they’re sitting on top of one of Cuckoo’s delicious cupcakes!
• Cuckoo’s Bakery, 150 Dundas Street, EH3 5DQ – cuckoosbakery.co.uk