Ex-owner of Chinese takeaway handed food business ban

The shop had raw chicken and 'dirt and debris' on the floor. Picture; contributed

The shop had raw chicken and 'dirt and debris' on the floor. Picture; contributed

17
Have your say

THE former owner of a Chinese takeaway in West Lothian has been banned from running any more food businesses after he failed to make sure food was prepared hygienically.

Inspectors found Hong Chinese Restaurant and Takeaway in Pumpherston had boxes of raw chicken left on the floor and that “dirt, debris and grease” had accumulated at the premises.

Colin Wan, the former owner of Hong, has been banned from managing any more food businesses

Colin Wan, the former owner of Hong, has been banned from managing any more food businesses

Then owner Pui Lung Wan - also known as Colin Wan - has now been handed a prohibition order after a court heard he consistently failed to maintain appropriate standards of cleanliness.

DOWNLOAD THE EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS APP ON ITUNES OR GOOGLE PLAY

Inspectors visited the takeaway in August 2015 following a complaint from a customer who alleged they had become ill after eating food from the venue.

A report published by West Lothian Council’s environmental health team stated inspectors found “poor standard of cleaning and disinfection” as well as “unsafe handling practices”.

It reveals boxes of raw chicken were being stored on the floor near cleaning chemicals and that surfaces and equipment throughout the kitchen were “visibly soiled”.

Inspectors also noted a “brown liquid material resembling grease” was dripping through the kitchen ceiling and that staff were using “a makeshift scoop made from a cut plastic container” to handle fried rice.

A remedial action notice was then served to stop operations at Hong ordering an immediate end to the handling, preparation and sale of food until remedial action had been taken.

Mr Wan was subsequently handed the ban following an appearance at Livingston Sheriff Court on February 9 this year.

West Lothian Council said they had been forced to act after Mr Wan consistently failed to make improvements at the Uphall Station Road venue.

A spokesman said: “Mr Wan had received previous warnings regarding the safe operation of this business, and unfortunately the continued failure to operate safely has required our Environmental Health officers to take action.

“The Sheriff has recognised the potential dangers posed by this business operator and taken appropriate action.

“It is however disappointing that there are still people running food businesses who don’t care about the safety of their customers and are unwilling to do basic things to keep food safe.”

Mr Wan will now have to appeal the court’s decision should he wish to manage a food business in the future.

The venue, which still carries the name Hong, has been under new management since 2015.

It was last inspected in January this year and currently holds an ‘Improvement Required’ food hygiene rating.

A spokesman for the new management said improvements had been made since they took over, including a revamp.

They added improving service for customers was a priority.