Fire guts Hanover Street travel agent

Hanover St is partially closed.
Hanover St is partially closed.
0
Have your say

Smoke filled the south side of Hanover Street as firefighters fought to extinguish an electrical fire at Edinburgh’s Barrhead Travel this morning (Tuesday).

DOWNLOAD THE EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS APP ON ITUNES OR GOOGLE PLAY

The small electrical fire was in Barrhead Travel.

The small electrical fire was in Barrhead Travel.

The road was partially blocked as fire crews attended the small electrical fire at the travel agents near the George Street junction. The fire service was notified at 7.55am with four fire engines being deployed to the scene.

Pizza Hut employee Tomasz Piotrowski, was on his way to work in the Hanover Street restaurant opposite Barrhead Travel. He said: “I could feel the smoke as I was walking up Princes Street at about 8am this morning.

“And by 8.30am I saw the firefighters smash in the door of El Barrio with a big hammer.”

Firefighters broke down the door of the neighbouring Cuban-style nightclub to check for damage but the manager confirmed the fire had not spread.

Businesses close to the travel agent were told to shut their doors to protect from the smoke including Oliver Bonas and Pret a Manger who neighbour Barrhead Travel.

No casualties have been reported.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to extinguish the small electrical fire.

Commuters experienced delays on Hanover Street are fire crews dealt with the incident.