Man exposed himself after entry to Edinburgh Castle refused

Liam Jamieson exposed himself and said he had a bomb in his bag after beingr refused entry to the castle. Picture: TSPL

Liam Jamieson exposed himself and said he had a bomb in his bag after beingr refused entry to the castle. Picture: TSPL

A man who was refused entry to Edinburgh Castle because he was drunk then exposed himself and said he had a bomb in his bag.

DOWNLOAD THE EDINBURGH EVENING NEWS APP ON ITUNES OR GOOGLE PLAY

Liam Jamieson, of Boghall Drive, Bathgate, pleaded guilty at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Tuesday to behaving in a threatening and abusive manner at the Castle on July 29 last year.

The 28-year-old was fined £1000 by Sheriff Frank Crowe, who described the incident as “a very serious breach of public order”.

Fiscal Depute Naomi Warner told the court that the duty manager at the Castle had been called to deal with a man who had been refused entry because he was drunk.

Jamieson refused to leave and continued to shout and swear at the duty manager and other members of staff, including female workers.

When they reached the entrance to the Castle, the Fiscal said Jamieson exposed himself to the women and said he had a bomb in his rucksack.

Defence solicitor Jennifer Cameron said her client had been employed on a building site, but work had finished early that day and he had been drinking in several public houses.

“He has very little recollection of what had happened,” she said. “He is extremely embarrassed.”

Sheriff Crowe told Jamieson: “This was really embarrassing for the city. An awfully drunk man making a nuisance of himself. It is a place where everybody is trying to enjoy themselves and enjoy Edinburgh at its best.”

200 Voices: find out more about the people who have shaped Scotland