Kings coach admits title is ‘in Falkirk’s hands’

Fury's Johnny Bunyan. Picture: Alan Murray
Fury's Johnny Bunyan. Picture: Alan Murray
Have your say

Though Edinburgh Kings had an easy 75-41 away basketball win over Glasgow University on Saturday, Falkirk Fury’s 72-56 win over St Mirren at the Lagoon Centre means that Fury have one hand on the Scottish League trophy.

Kings, who are away to Saints in the Scottish Cup semi-final on Friday night, will also now have their sights set on catching the Paisley side for second place in the league. But that would be scant consolation for seeing the title go to Falkirk for the second year in a row.

All ten players scored with Simon Flockhart top for Kings, who led 36-19 at half-time.

“We’ve just got to keep playing and improving and see where we are in the final weeks of the season, but it’s in their hands,” admitted Kings coach Doug Reilly. “They have a settled squad, which has been the key for them.”

Boroughmuir Blaze got back to winning ways with a 91-69 away victory over Stirling Knights at the Peak Centre, Tomas Cicenas top-scoring with 23 points and French guard Edgar Kalambi adding a further 20.

Three more players were in double figures, Gregor Auld and John Browne each had 11 and Yannick Onifade ten.

Edinburgh Kool Kats kept their women’s title hopes alive by the narrowest of margins, beating St Mirren 61-60 at the Lagoon Centre on Saturday morning.

Rose Anderson led with 15 points, Tracey Phillips added 11 and Hannah Peacock and Leanne Paige ten each.

In another tense finish, Kings juniors lost 68-65 after overtime away to Perth Phoenix, by coincidence exactly the same score as Tayside Musketeers enjoyed against Troon Tornadoes.

City of Edinburgh Lothian League side stared an embarrassing defeat in the face when they trailed Boroughmuir Masters 44-41 with one-and-a-half minutes left of their Scottish Chairman’s Cup-tie at the Crags Sports Centre.

But a mini-revival, aided by four missed free throws in a row by the veterans, saw City through 47-44, though Dave McKenzie had a shot to tie on the buzzer.

Graham Cameron with 17 and Piotr Jagodzinski with 15 top-scored for City.