Edinburgh boxer John McCallum has announced he will fight former professional footballer Leon McKenzie for the Britsh super-middleweight title eliminator at London’s York Hall on Saturday, July 4.
The 26-year-old Capital fighter is undefeated in seven bouts since turning pro in 2010, but hasn’t fought since he defeated Max Maxwell in Gateshead last May. However, McCallum is confident victory over the Englishman in three months’ time.
“I’ve been waiting on a fight like this for a long time,” he told the Evening News. “This will be the biggest bout of my career so far and I believe I am the better man than him.
“I’m hungrier as I’ve not had a professional football career and need this more than he does. I’m ten years younger than him, although he is in good shape for his age, so you can maybe play football but you can’t play boxing – it’s completely different.
“I believe I’m going to knock Leon out. I’ve put on a lot of muscle and I’m not killing myself with the weight.”
McCallum admits he has already encountered a torrent of abuse from the former Norwich and Crystal Palace striker’s fans on social media, but says he will let his boxing do the talking.
“It’s just the usual s**t to try and sell a fight,” McCallum said. “I don’t care if the Norwich, Crystal Palace or whatever sides he’s played for are bringing along their casuals to the fight, I’ve got a lot of people coming down to London to watch me as well. I’m going into the lion’s den, I know that, but I’m ready for it.”