John McCallum’s bout with ex-footballer postponed

John McCallum
John McCallum
0
Have your say

Capital boxer John McCallum’s British super-middleweight title eliminator with former professional footballer Leon McKenzie has been postponed until October.

The ex-Norwich City and Crystal Palace striker has suffered a slipped disc in his neck and has been forced to call off the bout which was originally scheduled for Saturday, July 4 at York Hall in London.

However, the fight has now been rescheduled for Saturday, October 17 giving the undefeated McCallum, 26, an additional three months to prepare for what will be the biggest test of his career so far.

Meanwhile, Brian Forsyth will make his professional debut at Bellahouston Sports Centre on Friday, June 12.

The former Scottish amateur champion is yet to discover who he will be boxing in Glasgow next month but says he is relishing the opportunity to make a name for himself in the pro ranks.

“I wish it was this weekend, to be honest, I can’t wait to get going now,” the 28-year-old said after recently signing a deal with Spanish-based promoter MGM. “This is the moment I have waited for for a long time. I’ll be ready for the fight – that’s for sure.

“MGM have got a really great set-up out there so I can go out to Marbella when I want to train which is a real bonus.”