Josh Taylor hungry for competitive fights

Josh Taylor demolished his opponent

Josh Taylor demolished his opponent

0
Have your say

Josh Taylor admitted to feeling a tad frustrated despite registering his third straight victory as a professional boxer on Friday night in Belfast.

Appearing on the undercard of stable-mate Conrad Cummings’ Celtic middleweight title bout against Alfredo Meli, a contest that ended in a majority draw, Taylor blew away Romanian Daniel Cosmin Minescu as the referee brought the fight to a halt after just 45 seconds.

Friday’s outcome is the second consecutive bout the Prestonpans star has stopped his opponent inside the opening round after last month’s victory over Adam Mate at Meadowbank, the Hungarian lightweight champion faring marginally better at 90 seconds.

“It is a bit frustrating to be honest,” the 2014 Commonwealth Games gold medallist said. “Obviously it’s good getting the fights out the way as soon as I can and I know these guys are journeymen, but I think he [Minescu] could have got back to his feet and had a go. I can only beat what’s in front of me, though, so a win’s a win.

“I hit the guy with a decent hard shot which rocked him. He legs then went and I just hit him with a couple of punches and then caught him on the back of the head with a right hook which put him down.

“The atmosphere was great,” Taylor continued. “It was really electric. Conrad was a bit disappointed he didn’t come away with the belt with all the work that he’s done but he said he didn’t feel he’d boxed at his best. But I think they’re going to try and get a rematch organised.”

Taylor revealed he will now spend this week training at Lochend before rejoining Cyclone Promotions trainer Shane McGuigan in London.

He said: “I’ll be heading back down to London next week but I’ll be straight back into Lochend with Terry (McCormack) today and go from there. Mid-January is still the target for my next fight but it’s not been confirmed yet so hopefully I’ll find out in the next couple of weeks.”