Callum Fordyce reflects on Livi hat-trick

Callum Fordyce pictured in 2012. Picture: SNS
Callum Fordyce pictured in 2012. Picture: SNS
Have your say

LIVINGSTON defender Callum Fordyce says his dad and grandad have been giving him stick for not getting enough goals – but that was before the stopper bagged an incredible hat-trick of headers in the side’s 5-1 demolition of Cowdenbeath.

Fordyce scored the first two for the Lions before Andy Barrowman and Mark Burchill added to the tally, followed by his third effort late on – all after Kane Hemmings had given Colin Cameron’s Cowden a first-half lead.

Fordyce is now the club’s joint top scorer with Marc McNulty this season.

“I’m just happy to be on the scoresheet,” he said. “I thought when we got the second goal they started to press higher up the pitch and that gave us the room to go and play. It’s my first ever hat-trick and probably my last ever hat-trick, too!

“I’m joint top scorer with Sparky. That won’t last very long as I’m sure he’ll bang in a few more, but I’m just happy to be playing every week.

“I got a lot of stick off my dad and grandad. They were here with my mates and my family, too. When I was younger I used to score quite a lot of goals, but it’s kind of dried up since then.”

Livi had all the ball in the first half, but Cowden took the lead against the run of play when Simon Mensing’s clearance rebounded to Hemmings and he ran through on goal to slot past Darren Jamieson.

Fordyce’s first came from a corner to level the scores at the break, before another corner kick met by the former Livi youth player gave John McGlynn’s men the lead.

A move involving Keaghan Jacobs and Jimmy Scott teed up Barrowman to make it three, before Burchill’s brilliance from the edge of the box added a fourth. Then Scott’s free kick once again found the full-back’s forehead to complete his treble with three minutes left.

Livi were slicing through Cowden’s defence time and again – and in stoppage time it could have become even worse for the visitors as Scott’s chip hit the bar when clean through on goal, before Denholm and the midfielder both had efforts cleared off the line.

Colin Cameron, whose Blue Brazil side drop to ninth, said: “That’s the most disappointed I’ve been since I’ve been in charge. We never turned up. I’m hurting, the chairman is hurting, and I can only apologise to the supporters.” Cowdenbeath took the lead 16 minutes in, Kane Hemmings tucking a right-footed strike into the bottom left-hand corner.

Livi levelled four minutes before half-time when Callum Fordyce rose to head Martin Scott’s cross past Grant Adam.

Fordyce doubled his tally after 59 minutes, heading home Stefan Scougall’s floated corner.

Andrew Barrowman added a third after 71 minutes when he met Martin Scott’s pass with a sweet strike.

Substitute Mark Burchill added a fourth, slotting home Barrowman’s 81st-minute pass to register his first goal for the club, and Fordyce completed a hat-trick of headers four minutes from time