The case involving former Livingston chief executive Ged Nixon’s pursuit of a six-figure sum from the club’s bank accounts has been adjourned until December 23.
The West Lothian side’s representatives were at the Court of Session in Edinburgh this morning with Nixon and his legal team requesting an “Arrestment of Funds Order” being imposed by Lord Tyre on the Championship club’s finances.
However, it was determined in court that there is a discrepancy over quantum of pay between the two sides of an estimated £40,000 – although it is believed the settlement Nixon is seeking is nearer the £264,000 mark and not the £311,000 that had originally been suggested.
Fears were raised on Monday that the club ran the risk of entering administration for a third time in ten years should an “Arrestment of Funds Order” have been granted and the club’s finances frozen as a consequence. With Livi scheduled to make its salary payments on Christmas Day, such infringements could have placed huge doubts over whether those payments to staff could have indeed been made.
Nixon, however, was not receptive outside the courtroom to any notion that the club could fall into the trap of administration as a consequence of any order being imposed.
“I’m not aware of that [administration] other than what I am reading and I don’t accept it,” he said. “I would ask the question ‘why?’ The club should be in a strong position now than it ever was since Livingston 5 took control. It’s had more income than it could ever have wished for. It should have cut costs – and it’s continued to cut costs all through my tenure and I believe it has continued to do so.
“When the principal owner of the company is paying himself significant six-figure sums, by his own admission, as well as other directors – mainly all the other Livingston 5 directors with the exception of myself – I’m being prejudiced and I don’t see why.
“It’s always been my desire for the matter to be resolved reasonably amicably. We’ve been the ones pushing to have it settled as quickly as possible but it just seems to be that every given opportunity the defenders just want to kick that matter into long grass. I’ve got my own view on why that may be, but that will be for everyone else to make up their own mind.”
Nixon alluded to the club’s majority shareholder Neil Rankine who he has been at loggerheads with ever since his departure from the club in October last year.
He said: “One man is driving this bus and I am not prepared to roll over and have my tummy tickled. At the end of the day, I am just a local guy who wanted to help out the football club that was ailing. I had no background information on any of the individuals but we all wanted the same thing. It’s just a crossroads that were reached where we wanted different things in a different direction and I remained strong to my principals.”
On yesterday’s decision, Nixon added: “I’m not happy. There’s a clear indication we’ve been trying to move things forward as quickly as possible despite what’s been said by the defender’s principal.
“This case should have never have been at this stage and should have been settled in July. I’m a wee bit disappointed that we’ve not got some sort of closure on it.
“I understand Lord Tyre will want to consider everything in its fullest so I understand that position. So I have to protect myself and look forward.”