DCSIMG

Hearts boss admits to moral dilemma over new signings

John McGlynn should see the transfer ban lifted now Hearts have paid staff

John McGlynn should see the transfer ban lifted now Hearts have paid staff

  • by COLLEEN STRACHAN
 

HEARTS manager John 
McGlynn can understand those who believe it would be morally wrong for the club to sign new players in January.

The Tynecastle outfit are 
currently assessing Lithuanian striker Arturas Rimkevicius with a view to signing the 
player during the January 
window – subject to their 
transfer embargo being lifted.

Hearts have been banned from bringing in any new faces until December 23 by way of a punishment from the SPL after they failed to pay their players’ wages on time two months in a row.

Last month, they only avoided further sanctions when the squad agreed to defer their 
November salaries in order to alleviate the increasing financial pressure on the club. Those were eventually paid last week and, by paying the players’ December wages in full today, the club will see the transfer ban lifted by the SPL. Supporters, though, have had to dig deep in recent weeks to keep the club alive. Over £800,000 has been raised so far through their shares issue, but director Sergejus Fedotovas this week warned fans that Hearts are still facing a £1 million black hole in their budget unless they put more money in.

Three weeks ago, the club 
announced that there was a 
possibility their match against 
St Mirren could be their last as they faced a winding-up 
order over a £450,000 unpaid tax bill.

McGlynn is keen to strengthen his squad if and when he gets the chance, but knows there will be some who would frown upon the club should they go out and sign new players.

He said: “I am looking at a situation where the guys out of contract in the summer 
could leave the club. That could possibly leave us short so if there are players leaving us then – and I am speculating – if they are players on big wages then maybe we could bring players in for less money.

“That would still make us survive until the end of the season and give us an opportunity to win football matches and then we wouldn’t have to put 16 or 17-year-olds out there.

“If no-one comes in with an offer we are not satisfied with, we will go with what we have got. I am not for one minute trying to lose players. It is not in my benefit to lose players.

“I understand it would be morally wrong to bring players when the club is in its current position.”

Meanwhile, Scott Robinson will find out his fate next week after refusing a seat on the bench against Aberdeen last weekend. The Hearts midfielder has been told to stay away from training until his agent returns from abroad on Monday and all three parties can meet to try to resolve the situation.

McGlynn said: “It’s an internal matter. We’ve got a meeting early next week where we’ll take discussions further. He’s not been suspended, there’s been nothing formally taken. His agent is wanting to represent Scott and it was at his request that we wait until next week.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page