HEARTS directors will not consider selling the club to Angelo Massone, the Evening News can reveal.
Sergejus Fedotovas confirmed today that talks with the Italian did take place after he submitted a £4.5million bid, but he does not fit the profile of someone who could assume control from majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov.
Supporters were outraged at the prospect of Massone taking over from Romanov following his offer chaotic reign at Livingston, which ended with the West Lothian club lapsing into administration in July 2009. His offer for Hearts came in November last year, but was rejected by the club hierarchy.
Hearts director Fedotovas explained today that the board are no longer speaking with Massone, who had pledged to return with another bid. Hearts are in negotiations with “several other interested parties” and a takeover could be completed by summer.
“We spoke to Mr Massone in the past,” said Fedotovas. “I can tell you that we had these discussions long ago and I think we are finished with this one. He came to us with a bid, but both the political side and the financial side didn’t match our valuation.”
On Saturday, Fedotovas said that new owners could be in place at Hearts by the start of next season, with negotiations expected to continue over the coming weeks. He revealed today that the next move now depends on who wants to succeed with their buyout.
“The parties need to sort things out at their ends. Any proposal that is presented will be put to Mr Romanov and then we can take things from there,” said the Lithuanian.
Fedotovas attended Hearts’ 3-0 defeat by Kilmarnock at Tynecastle at the weekend.