HIBS aim to end a 114-year wait to lift the Scottish Cup when they play Rangers at Hampden on Saturday. Here are 16 other events that happened in 1902 - the year the club last won the trophy with a 1-0 victory over Celtic at Parkhead.
1. The first Ibrox disaster: 25 fans died and 517 were injured when a stand collapsed during a Scotland-England game at Ibrox Stadium in Glasgow.
2. Percival Spencer and the Rev JM Bacon made the first-ever hot air balloon flight from the Isle of Man, landing in Dumfriesshire.
3. Real Madrid were formed as Madrid Football Club, while Newton Heath FC changed their name to Manchester United.
4. The first movie theatre in the United States, called Electric Theatre, opened in Los Angeles.
5. Of Mice and Men author John Steinbeck was born in California.
6. Levi Strauss - the inventor of blue jeans - died in San Francisco at the age of 73.
7. The Marmite Food Extract Company was formed in Burton upon Trent.
8. The British patriotic song Land of Hope and Glory was written by Edward Elgar and AC Benson.
9. Beatrix Potter published her first children’s book, The Tale of Peter Rabbit.
10. Vladimir Lenin began a year’s stay in London where he edited a newspaper, Iskra, and first met Leon Trotsky.
11. The second Boer War came to an end.
12. Cuba gained independence from the United States.
13. A new car speed record of 74mph was set in Nice, France.
14. Edward VII was crowned King of the United Kingdom, a year after succeeding Queen Victoria.
15. US President Theodore Roosevelt called for regulation of large corporations in his State of the Union address.
16. The second in command of Butch Cassidy’s Wild Bunch gang, Kid Curry Logan, was sentenced to 20 years’ hard labour.