Agogo rues Ibrox miss but vows to work

0
Have your say

JUNIOR AGOGO today expressed regret for his miss against Rangers but said a little more fortune and additional hours on the training field would ensure he scores the next time he is presented with a similar chance

“The Gods weren’t on my side at that time but there’s a reason behind everything,” said the Ghana international, 32. “The main thing is I gave my all and I came out of the game satisfied with my contribution to the team. That’s behind me now, and I’m just looking forward to the next game.

“I’ve only had two chances [to score]. I put it down to a good save. All I can do is hit the target and make the ‘keeper work.

“I’ve got two more weeks of training, so hopefully that will put me in even better stead come the Motherwell game. I feel like I’m getting there now.”

Agogo said he was happy with an improved on-field understanding among his team mates and, with Hibs showing positive form and having run Rangers close, admitted frustration at the timing of the current international break.

“I would say we’re disappointed that we didn’t win – that was the main thing,” said Agogo. “On the flip side, there was a lot of good things that we did. We were playing the best team in the league and we held our own, and in the end I think we could have won it.

“It’s all down to results, though. We’ve got a break now and a chance to regroup with a few days off.

“Things have been coming together,” he continued. “But, again, a couple of days away and coming back fresher that you were before – that’s needed at times. We’re beginning to click now, beginning to know what each other wants and what we expect of each other, and what the manager wants.

“So far, you’ve seen the last couple of games there are signs the boys are beginning to gel.”

The team resumes league action a week on Saturday, with Motherwell the visitors to Edinburgh.

However, Hibs face being without Garry O’Connor for two competitive games, should the Scottish FA’s Judicial Panel find the striker guilty of separate offences.

Hibs rejected the national association’s offer of a suspension for O’Connor after the striker was adjudged to have dived to win a penalty in last week’s victory over St Johnstone. That case will now go to a fast-track tribunal, made up of former players, managers, referees and legal experts, to be held on Thursday.

A statement by the Scottish FA read: “In relation to an incident of alleged simulation involving Garry O’Connor in the recent match between Hibernian FC and St Johnstone FC, Hibernian were issued with a complaint from the Compliance Officer offering a standard two-match suspension. The club have chosen to refer the matter to a Fast Track Tribunal, which will be convened on Thursday.”

Graham Stack was also caught on camera appearing to lash out at Rangers forward Lafferty in Hibs’ last outing. However, it is believed the review deemed that there was insufficient evidence to issue a ban to the Irish goalkeeper.

If sufficient evidence had been gathered, the club would have had the opportunity to accept a fixed penalty – which for violent conduct is a suspension of two matches – or face a tribunal.