Alan Stubbs: No bids made for Hibs’ Jason Cummings

Jason Cummings has been linked with a number of clubs in the English Championship during the winter transfer window. Pic: SNS
Jason Cummings has been linked with a number of clubs in the English Championship during the winter transfer window. Pic: SNS
8
Have your say

Alan Stubbs has insisted there have been no approaches for red-hot striker Jason Cummings since the transfer window opened – and he isn’t ready to welcome any.

Cummimgs’ absence as Hibs faced Raith Rovers in the Scottish Cup last weekend sent the conspiracy theorists wild, despite Stubbs’ revelation his top scorer was suffering from a heavy bout of flu.

Wolves were said to the latest to join the queue of clubs ready to test Hibs’ determination to hold onto the 20-year-old, who still has 18 months of his contract remaining, a deal which Stubbs would undoubtedly hope to see extended.

However, head coach Stubbs concedes he can’t prevent speculation given last season’s top scorer in the Championship has added another 16 to his tally so far and earned his first Scotland Under-21 caps.

Stubbs told the Evening News: “We’ve had no contact from any club regarding any of our players. We still have eighteen days to go of the window so I cannot foresee what is going to happen in that time, I’m afraid. But we won’t welcome anything towards any of our players. Our mindset is firm.”

However, Stubbs admitted to being a little exasperated at the reaction in some quarters to his explanation for Cummings missing the trip to Stark’s Park, rumours immediately spreading a transfer was imminent.

He said: “I wish people would believe what I am saying.

“Jason was really poorly with flu. He’d come down with a real heavy flu after the previous Saturday’s match against Raith and he was probably not right until six days later. It wiped him out and he was in no state whatsoever to be involved, so I am afraid I have to quash everybody’s conspiracy theories.

“Jason has been back training this week. He’s back on form, chirpy around the training ground, laughing and joking again, which is a good sign.”

Goalkeeper Antonio Reguero was also absent last weekend for the same reason, teenager Sean Brennan taking his place on the bench as back-up to Mark Oxley, both he and Cummings ordered to stay away from Hibs East Mains training centre to avoid others being hit.

Stubbs said: “Toni was very similar. We kept them away from everybody as we didn’t want to risk the infection spreading. Everyone is in good health so we seem to have nipped it in the bud.”