Pat Fenlon is hopeful of adding more players to Hibs squad

Recent Easter Road capture Tom Soares. Picture: Getty
Recent Easter Road capture Tom Soares. Picture: Getty
44
Have your say

Hibs boss Pat Fenlon today revealed he isn’t finished in the transfer market as he seeks to add further new faces to his Easter Road squad before Tuesday’s signing deadline.

After making Irish striker Eoin Doyle his first signing, Fenlon has snapped up Norwich youngster George Francomb, Coventry defender James McPake and Stoke midfielder Tom Soares on loan until the end of the season.

But while delighted with the business already completed, Fenlon disclosed he is continuing to work hard behind the scenes to further bolster his squad as Hibs battle to haul themselves away from the threat of relegation.

The patience Fenlon sought over the past couple of weeks is, he believes, finally being rewarded, the manager having resolutely insisted he was looking for quality and experience rather than simply making signings for the sake of it.

And, in former Livingston star McPake and Soares, he feels he has got what he is looking for – and now he wants more to join them.

He said: “It has been a long stretch, but I’m delighted we’ve got both players in. I said at the start we’re looking to bring in some experienced players and I think both of them fit into that category.

“They give us experience and knowledge of the game. James is a good organiser as well. Tom has real quality as you can see by the level he has played at. I think they will be big additions to the squad.”

However, the search continues with St Mirren midfield anchorman Jim Goodwin still on Fenlon’s radar, while Arsenal youngster Rhys Murphy scored in a closed-doors match against Partick Thistle earlier in the

week. Fenlon, though, declined to comment on specific names, revealing only that he was hoping for “another couple”.

Time would appear to be against him ahead of Saturday’s visit to Ibrox, but the Irishman seemed confident of completing further signings before the January transfer window slams shut.

He said: “I’m happy with what we have brought in. It’s a difficult time to get the type of player we are looking for, but we have been patient and I think that has been rewarded.

“We are looking to strengthen all areas. We have been offered a number but not the type we are looking for, so we’ll continue to try to bring in a couple more.”

Meanwhile, striker Leigh Griffiths has offered a grovelling apology after again being caught making offensive gestures to fans, the on-loan Wolves star now ruled out of Hibs’ next three matches following his latest indiscretion.

Already out of the William Hill Scottish Cup tie against Kilmarnock a week on Saturday, Griffiths was spotted making a “one-finger” salute during the defeat by St Johnstone and, having been “convicted” of a similar offence earlier in the season, was hit by two-game ban.

Hibs declined to appeal the decision, meaning Griffiths now sits out Saturday’s clash with Rangers and the visit of Aberdeen on February 11.

Griffiths now claims to have finally learned his lesson with a promise there will be no repeat, insisting his action was the result of frustration at the way the game was going and fans getting on his back although he felt he was playing well.

Admitting to “sheer stupidity”, the Scotland Under-21 player said: “I won’t let it happen again. I need to grow up quick and fast.”