Rangers are refusing to accept defeat in their pursuit of Scott Allan and are poised to launch a fourth bid for Hibs’ talisman.
The midfielder, who is also the subject of interest from Rotherham United, handed in a transfer request last week and made it clear that he wished to move to Ibrox.
However, Hibs have stated continuously that they will not sell their star man to their main Championship title rivals and on Tuesday they rejected a third offer from Rangers, in the region of £280,000.
Nonetheless, this has not discouraged the Glasgow club, who are set to come again with an improved bid.
Asked about the situation at yesterday’s pre-match media briefing ahead of Rangers’ Championship opener against St Mirren tomorrow, Mark Warburton confirmed that a third bid had been rejected this week, but the Ibrox manager wouldn’t be drawn on his club’s next move.
“Another bid went in and has been rejected,” he said. “As far as I’m aware, that’s the situation. It’s up to the powers that be. He’s not my player. I’m not avoiding the question, but he’s not my player and it is disrespectful to speak about other players.”
Rotherham manager Steve Evans was also coy on his side’s interest in the Hibs midfielder, although the player is thought to have little interest in joining the English Championship side.
“Any transfer business we do will remain confidential between the clubs,” said Evans. “From a distance, one wonders why news of clubs bidding and not bidding gets out. We will not do that. We will deal directly with Hibernian should we pursue any interest in Scott Allan.”
Hibs admit they have had tentative enquiries from other clubs since Allan handed in his transfer request, but insist that Rangers are the only club to have made any official offers. They remain committed to their stance of not selling to the Ibrox side.