Amateurs: Heriot Vale edge nearer to title

Heriot Vale
Heriot Vale
Have your say

Heriot Vale all but secured the Saturday Premier 1 title as they defeated Edinburgh South Vics 4-1 at Broughton High School 3G.

The win took them level on points with their opponents, with two games in hand.

The urgency in both teams was evident – Vale desperate to draw level having played catch-up for months with games in hand – whilst Vics were determined to keep hold of top spot.

Vale started the game in a lethargic manner but Vics were unable to take advantage of that in the opening exchanges.

And it was Vale who opened the scoring after 27 minutes. Ryan D’Angelo had the ball on the left and the tricky winger put in a great right-footed delivery to the back post, where Pieyam Khosrowpour was there to head in.

However, it only took Vics three minutes to get back in the game.

An infringement just inside the box led to a penalty, which Michael Kennedy fired home to the goalkeeper’s right.

For the rest of the half, Vale showed their authority and pressed to regain their lead. They had two great chances in two minutes.

In the 38th minute, Alan Sheriff crossed for D’Angelo in the box, who ran on to it and hit a thumping drive towards goal but it was saved well by Graeme Lennie.

The resulting corner saw Vale skipper Rees Allan smack a header off the underside of the crossbar.

A goal was coming and it arrived on the stroke of half-time.

Jordyn Sheerin played a nice ball to striker Sheriff, who peeled off his marker to hit a sublime half-volley into the far corner of the goal.

In a second half dominated by Vale, the shape and organisation that Vics had in the first period seemed to disappear as they appeared to tire.

Vale finally got breathing space in the game on 75 minutes.

A perfectly-weighted cross from the right by D’Angelo was met at the back post by captain Allan, who headed in well for 3-1.

Vale managed one more to seal the three points, D’Angelo opting to play in Sheerin instead of shooting on the edge – and Sheerin rewarded the unselfish act by curling a low shot beyond the goalkeeper from the left side of the penalty area.

Meanwhile, Redhall Star trounced bottom club Melville Rovers 8-0 to seal their first league championship and subsequent promotion to the third tier of the LEAFA Saturday section.

A five-star performance in the first half had the south-west Edinburgh side in cruise control and up 5-0.

They opened the scoring through Darren Carter, his 20-yard shot finding the net in the early stages of the match.

Scott Aitken then got himself on the scoresheet twice in quick succession, first finishing off a move by rounding the goalkeeper, and then driving across the goalkeeper to make it 3-0.

Redhall were pulling away from Melville fast and the home side did not relent, scoring another two before half-time – Aitken’s corner coming off a Melville defender and in following pressure from James Murray.

Then, Murray headed in another Aitken corner on the stroke of the interval.

Craig Robertson made it 6-0 not long into the second half, smashing an unstoppable strike past the Melville No.1 after being played in down the right.

Substitute Stewart Ogilvie beat the offside trap to round the goalie and make it 7-0.

Redhall rounded off a wonderful display in the game and throughout the season by scoring an eighth – captain Stephen Finnie converting a penalty for his first goal of the season.