Amateurs: Redhall Star clinch cup after extra time

Redhall Star
Redhall Star
Have your say

REDHALL STAR won the Stead & Simpson Cup, beating Civil Service Strollers 2-0 after extra time at Paties Road.

The opening exchanges between the two Edinburgh Central teams were scrappy with both sides misplacing passes.

However, the combination of Redhall’s Darren Carter and Craig Robertson down the right side was causing problems for the Strollers, whose goalkeeper Scott Hale was forced into making a few fine saves to keep the scores level.

Redhall applied a lot of pressure after the interval and looked the most likely to break the deadlock.

Their best effort came in the last action of regulation play when James Murray found Robertson on the right. His cross picked out Scott Aitken and the striker knocked the ball back to James Spence, who hit it first-time and forced Hale into a superb fingertip save to force the tie into 30 minutes extra time.

It only took a few minutes for Redhall to penetrate the Strollers rearguard. Scott Kinnaird produced a fine 60-yard pass to team-mate Carter, whose first-time effort sailed into the back of the net.

That fantastic opening goal seemed to knock the wind out of Strollers’ sails and Redhall clinched victory with another goal in the second period.

Following a Strollers attack, Redhall’s John McDonald surged down the left flank and his cross picked out Aitken, who fed Scott Brady.

His clever pass found McDonald, who tapped into an empty net for 2-0.

Meanwhile, Redpath Albion cruised into the final of the Ronnie Travers Memorial Cup with a 3-0 victory over Edinburgh Southern.

Robbie Scouse opened the scoring for the away side after 49 minutes when Aiden Reilly’s perfectly flighted free kick found the head of Scouse, who dispatched it into the back of the net.

Then, with 63 minutes played, Redpath doubled their advantage. Following good work down the left flank by Mark Johnstone, the Albion man sent in a dangerous cross which was forced into the net by Scott Smith from close range.

Johnstone was the standout star of the show and with 13 minutes remaining he claimed a goal for himself which wrapped up a place in the final for Redpath.

Their manager, Bryan Maughan, said: “We dominated long spells of the 90 minutes and it was no surprise when we opened the scoring and went on to win.

“It was a fitting result after losing in extra time last week against Redhall Star.”

Elsewhere, East Calder United brushed aside Uphall Station by 5-1 to reach the Cairns Cup final.

Uphall opened the scoring through Janus Bak, who turned a defender in the 18-yard box to slot home.

East Calder recovered well, though, and equalised through Scott McGregor, who converted Andy Brown’s left-wing cross.

After 25 minutes, the away side took the lead, Liam McDonald poking in from close range following another cross.

On the hour, centre-back Gavin Wood headed in from 12 yards after Brown’s delivery.

The game was getting away from Uphall and East Calder extended the gap further to make it 4-1, Alec Reid shooting from outside the box into the roof of the net.

The match was marred for the victors on 75 minutes, as goalscoring defender Wood was taken off with torn ligaments after he landed awkwardly.

Brown rounded off a man-of-the-match display to score East Calder’s fifth, netting from the left side of the box with under ten minutes remaining.