Bo’ness show steel

Bo'ness hit back in style to overcome a two-goal half-time deficit and defeat Netwongrange Star 4-2. Picture: Joey Kelly
Bo'ness hit back in style to overcome a two-goal half-time deficit and defeat Netwongrange Star 4-2. Picture: Joey Kelly
Have your say

Doubles from man of the match, Robert Sloan, and Steven Hislop saw Bo’ness come from being two down at the break to hit Newtongrange with four goals in an action-packed second half.

In a game that had everything from six goals, a penalty and a man sent off, it was Bo’ness who took the honours to stay in top slot in the Super League.

The home side started the strongest and the visitors looked troubled. However, it was the Star who took the lead in the 21st minute when Sean Jamieson got the better of Stewart Hunter chasing a long ball and made no mistake as the keeper came out to block him.

A minute later and he was in again after a poor pass back from Scott Gibb, though this time the keeper did block the shot.

Then in the 30th minute the visitors were two up. Chris King took a long free kick on the right for Steven Noble at the back post to head back across the goal. The keeper knocked the ball up into the air before Scott Gibson slid it over the line.

At the start of the second half Paul Tansey had a chance to kill Bo’ness off but his drive was blocked. Bo’ness took heart from this and with the wind at their back were soon pressing hard. They pulled a goal back in the 63rd minute from Sloan. Andy Scott took a free kick to the back post for Chris Donnelly to head back into the six yard box. Sloan was in acres of space to slam the ball past the keeper.

Only ten minutes later the sides were level, Donnelly again heading back for Sloan to grab his second of the match. Then with ten minutes remaining they were in front. Sloan was brought crashing to the ground by Steven Noble giving Hislop the opportunity to score from the spot.

And to the delight of their supporters they grabbed a fourth in the dying minutes when Hislop ran onto a long through ball from Sloan to loop a volley up and over the keeper and into the net from 25 yards. Worse was to follow for Newtongrange as Jay Shields was given a straight red card for foul and abusive language to the referee as the full time whistle drew near.

Bo’ness boss Alan McGonigal was delighted with his side’s spirit. “We got big goals from big players and once we got the first in the second half I thought we would get something from the game. To come from behind like that shows great character and that’s what the team have.

“It was a great result for us. With five out of five [wins] it’s a great start for the club.”

Newtongrange manager Alan Miller was very disappointed, “I thought we could go on and get a third which would have made it very difficult for Bo’ness but we didn’t and paid the penalty.

“We didn’t pass the ball well second half and conceded bad goals. We gave the ball away too cheaply in the second half and suffered the consequences. To be fair though Bo’ness stepped up in the last 45 minutes.”

Bo’ness United: Peat, Connolly, Devine, Murphy, Hunter (Nimmo), Gibb, Hislop, Sloan, Donnelly, Scott (T Jaconelli), Gribben (B Jaconelli). Subs: Miller, Wallace.

Newtongrange Star: Renton, Gibson, Noble, Tolmie, Dunn, Shields, Tansey (Forster), Gillon, Jamieson, King (Cherrie), Cropley (Stewart). Subs: O’Reilly, Deland.