Boss says ‘we didn’t play well’ after 6-0 cup win

The Tynecastle AFC side which beat Volunteer United 6-0 in the Scottish Cup second round
The Tynecastle AFC side which beat Volunteer United 6-0 in the Scottish Cup second round
Have your say

Tynecastle AFC were 
comfortable 6-0 winners in their Scottish Cup second-round clash with Volunteer United at Saughton 3G.

The first half produced a stuffy affair, the home side only managing a solitary strike when Stuart Crozier got 
the better of the Volunteer 
defence to steer home after half an hour.

However, Volunteer were 
unable to cope with Tynecastle’s pressure in the second period, and Jason Watson added a second when he converted from just outside the box.

Steven Igoe added a third from close range before Crozier grabbed his second with a tremendous, curling free-kick which went into the top corner from 25 yards.

David Dickson added his name to the scoresheet with Tynecastle’s fifth and Joss Froude completed the rout with a composed finish five minutes from time.

Despite a comprehensive 
victory, Tynecastle coach 
Grant Shields admits his 
players can put on a better show.

Shields said: “It was a convincing victory but I don’t think we played particularly well.

“We haven’t had a game in three weeks so I don’t know if that was a factor.

“But I think there was only ever going 
to be one winner and we’re looking forward to the next round where we will give it our best shot.”

Mayfield shake off the rust

Mayfield and Easthouses are through to the Scottish Cup third round after an impressive 5-0 victory over Kirkcaldy Rovers at Easthouses Complex.

Head coach Robert Hogg was complimentary to his side’s opponents but felt his players proved their superiority. “We were a wee bit rusty early on but it was a good performance overall. They attacked us in the opening ten minutes but once we had weathered the storm, we played some good football and scored some good goals in the process, so I am pleased.”

Martin Hughes opened the scoring after ten minutes and then struck again to double his side’s advantage five minutes later. Dale Thornton then ensured the tie was safe when he notched a third after a fine solo effort, dribbling past three opponents before coolly slotting home to send Mayfield in three up at the break. Kirkcaldy put up a brave performance in the second half, containing Mayfield until the last 15 minutes when the home side added a further two strikes. Hughes completed his hat-trick with a neat finish before Douglas Morrison put the icing on the cake with a fifth.

Four-goal blitz seals victory

After a closely fought encounter just over three weeks ago, Musselburgh Amateurs produced a terrific display on their way to a 5-1 victory over Fife’s Benarty AFC in their Scottish Cup second-round replay at Dallas Park.

The East Lothian outfit were made to work for their victory, however, both sides failing to hit the target and going in 0-0 at half-time.

Giovanni Crolla did find the net for Musselburgh ten minutes after the restart, but were quickly pegged back when Benarty struck an equaliser.

With the game edging ever closer to extra time, Musselburgh upped the tempo and secured victory with four 
goals in a blistering 15-minute spell. Firstly, Jamie Kay finished off a fine move, slotting into the far corner to sneak Musselburgh into the lead before Crolla added a third minutes later to dash any hopes of a revival for the home side.

Daryl Waugh’s shot then took a deflection and ended up in the back of the net for the visitors’ fourth, and Scott Barclay compounded the misery for Benarty with a fifth. Musselburgh coach Cris Kay was thrilled to head back over the Forth with a passage into the third round safely secured.

He said: “It was a good, solid performance from the boys. I gave them a challenge before the game to go out and 
show their worth and they 

“We looked at their (Benarty) weaknesses from the first game and worked on them in 
training. Our workrate was at 100 per cent and I think that got us through in the end.”