Colts surrender early advantage in seven-goal thriller

Cramond Yellows Under-16s
Cramond Yellows Under-16s
Have your say

Cramond Yellows 16s recovered from an early setback to win their Division 3 League Cup tie with Fernieside Colts 5-2 on Sunday.

There was three goals witnessed in the first eight minutes of the tie – and two were for the losing team. Connor Stockley gave Fernieside the lead after only four minutes played, the forward being played in by a great ball and poking past the goalkeeper first time into the bottom corner.

Just two minutes later, Fernieside were in dreamland with a second goal.

The ball was sent down the left flank to Christopher Jeffrey, who used his pace to take the ball close to the line before putting in a cross-cum-shot that was parried before being tapped in by Kevin Forrest at the back post.

Fernieside looked in complete control of the match until Cramond got themselves back into it, two minutes following that goal.

Striker Jay Quinn was played down the centre of the pitch towards goal, the No 9, shrugging off a defender in the process before having the ball fortunately rebound off him from the approaching Fernieside goalkeeper David Harrold. That left him an empty net to stroke the ball home for 2-1.

Halfway through the first-half, Cramond were on level terms. A debatable penalty was given for a challenge on Owen Keatly and his team mate Cameron Burns stepped up to convert from the spot with a cool left-footed finish.

Just before the interval Cramond raced into a 3-2 lead, penalty scorer Burns’ free-kick from the left being met by the unmarked Conner Miller who nodded in past Harrold’s reach to turn the match on its head.

The referee stopped a Fernieside attack to give a yellow card to their full-back Kieran Stark for dissent. Controversially he then awarded Cramond the free-kick and straight from that it was 4-2, Ryan Prunty heading on to Miller who also headed the ball in the direction of Keatly to finish off from close range.

Cramond got their fifth and last goal of the game midway through the second period. 
Ellis Mitscavitch had the ball at the corner flag and a nice piece of skill took him away from the defender before his cross found Keatly in the middle of the danger area.

Keatly patiently waited for the ball to arrive before he turned his body and executed a perfect overhead-kick into the back of the net.

Vale into another final

HUTCHISON VALE 19s will go on to face Division 1 rivals North Merchiston Club in the Cruden Bowl Final after they comfortably defeated Leith Athletic 3-0.

An evenly contested first-half at Leith Links on Saturday saw both teams approach each other in a cagey fashion, with no real openings for either. Half-time came around with the teams locked at 0-0.

However, Connor McGregor gave Hutchie the lead midway through the second half. A corner wasn’t cleared by Leith and the ball broke to the skipper, who rifled in from 18 yards.

Ten minutes later the visitors extended their advantage.

Liam Henderson picked out Jason Coyle with an excellent through ball and Coyle made no mistake with his cool, calm finish past the Leith goalkeeper.

And it truly was game over a mere five minutes later as Ryan Malcolm scored to make it 3-0.

Lewis Todd broke away from the Leith defence and found Malcolm at the back post, and he duly finished off the move with simplicity.

The win ensured Hutchison Vale reached their third final of the 2013/14 season, having already made it to the 
Sportassist South-East Region Cup Final to face North Merchiston Club and the Bob Bankier Cup Final to face Leith Athletic once more.

King’s brace wins cup tie

BARRY KING’S double ensured a last-eight spot belonged to Star ‘A’ CYP 19s as they beat Inch Colt Star 2-1 in the Division 2 League Cup in Newtongrange.

With around 25 minutes played, Star ‘A’ broke the deadlock. A break started from the middle of the pitch by Dale Golder, who fed Danny Thompson. The latter then picked out King, who made no mistake with a cool side-footed finish.

Not long after, the home side further extended their lead. Golder crossed the ball well from the right side of the pitch, finding King, whose well-placed strike nestled in the corner of the net after 33 minutes played.

Inch Colts got their goal from Aidan Robertson. From midfield, Aaron Mitchell picked out Conor Wood on the left channel, who beat the defender for pace and crossed at the bye-line for Robertson to head home.