Currie in Royal Edinburgh Cup victory

Currie Boys Club 19s
Currie Boys Club 19s
Have your say

Currie BOYS’ CLUB 19s are through to the second round of the Royal Edinburgh Cup after a 2-1 victory over Division 2 table-toppers Star ‘A’ CYP at Meggetland.

Currie’s Colin MacBeth did, however, admit it took his players time to settle into the match.

“As we expected they came out the blocks very fast and it took us a while to close them down,” he said. “We got our first goal perhaps against the run of play but we got better as the game went on in what was a very good competitive match.”

Despite Star ‘A’ looking the more assured in the opening stages, the home side took the lead when Kieran Milligan got on the end of a cross to head in the opener.

However, the visitors were back on level terms minutes into the second half when Craig Bonnar’s strike found the far corner.

With both sides searching for the winner, it was Dann Brigain who was the hero for Currie as his surging run from the middle of the park was rewarded when his drive from the edge of the box found the back of the net to send his side through.

Star ‘A’ coach Daniel Louden was naturally disappointed to exit the competition at the first hurdle.

He said: “We played some good football but we are 
disappointed with the goals we conceded but I think that’s down to the lack of matches we’ve played recently.”

Liberton 14s reach final

Liberton United 14s 
player Daniel Bastianelli kept his cool when it was needed most to convert a vital penalty in extra time to help his club into the final of the Pilmar Smith Cup.

Their opponents North 
Berwick Colts fought back in the tie, played at Liberton Park, but United never let their heads drop and now await the winner of the second semi-final between Edinburgh South Colts and Cramond which is scheduled to be played on Sunday.

United coach Stevie McMullan said: “It was probably one of the best matches we have played. It was an evenly matched game throughout but I think we maybe just pipped them to the post.”

The home side got off to a blistering start scoring the opener inside the first minute when Callum Windle headed home a cross from the right.

However, pressure from the visitors finally took its toll on the home defence and Robbie Warnock had time to pick his spot after a superb reverse pass from Kris Harley and level the match at 1-1.

North Berwick gained the upper hand in the second half when Harley himself got his name on the scoresheet with a superb strike but Liberton were not to be outdone and sent the game into an additional period with Connor Greechan grabbing the vital strike.

Liberton were awarded a 
penalty for a foul in the box and Bastianelli capitalised when he struck home from 12 yards before Windle added his second with a 25 yard cracker to make it 4-2.

North Merchi oust Hutchie

North Merchiston 17s’ 3-0 victory over Hutchison Vale at Broxburn Juniors’ 3G surface has earned them a place in the final of the SPORTSassist South East Region Cup final.

Nathan Evans reacted quickest to knock home a cross that the Hutchie defence failed to clear and hand Merchiston the lead after just five minutes.

The second goal arrived just on the stroke of half-time when Sam Tulloch fed in Fraser 
Eddington, who gathered the ball at pace and ran to the corner of the penalty box before delivering a well struck shot into the bottom left corner.

Eddington sealed his side’s triumph with a third goal midway through the second half when he converted from inside the box to send Merchi into May’s final with Spartans.

North Merchiston coach Andrew Young said: “I think it was one of our best performances of the season. I was surprised to win by three clear goals but we deserved to win.”