Dillon Anderson fires five for Merchie

North Merchiston Under-15s
North Merchiston Under-15s
Have your say

North Merchiston under-15s shocked depleted Division 1 side Leith Athletic to ease into the quarter-finals of the Federation of Hearts Supporters’ Clubs Cup with a 6-3 win at Harrison Park.

Striker Dillon Anderson was in unstoppable form for second tier Merchie – scoring five goals – as he seemed to dispose of every chance that fell to him.

Leith had a golden opportunity to take the lead when Tom Lacey’s cross from the left flashed in front of goal – it was just asking to be diverted into the net – but nobody in red and white could get a touch on it and Merchie made them pay.

Rory Smith failed to clear his lines for Leith and Anderson showed great striking instinct to steal possession before rounding goalkeeper Tommi McArthur and firing into the net from a tight angle for his first of the afternoon.

Marc Marino was solid in central defence for Merchie and his work at the back was providing a basis for his team to attack, with Anderson close to getting his second after 20 minutes only for Jack Lyon to prevent a certain goal with his goal-line clearance.

Marino was the man at fault, though, when Leith got their equaliser after 30 minutes. The defender conceded possession just inside his own half and Lacey did well to hold off several defenders with a bustling run before sliding the ball under stand-in Merchie keeper Jamie Underwood.

Leith’s Greg Noble then had a chance to put his side in front only to see his shot saved and Merchie turned defence into attack to take the lead.

Underwood’s long kick upfield put Anderson through and the striker showed great pace to outrun his marker before toe-poking the ball past McArthur into the bottom corner.

Anderson sealed his first-half hat-trick to give his side a two-goal cushion going into the interval. Another lung-busting run left the Leith defenders stranded and he rounded McArthur before passing the ball into the net. Merchie had further chances to extend their lead early in the second half but it wasn’t until the 63rd minute that they stretched further in front. Declan Davidson teed up Anderson and his powerful strike got the better of McArthur who was unable to hold onto the shot.

Anderson was inches away from his fifth from a free-kick on the edge of the box but his low effort smacked off the base of the post.

The striker didn’t waste any time on getting his fifth though, and what a strike it was. From the edge of the box, Anderson sent his left foot shot crashing into the top corner leaving McArthur helpless.

With ten minutes to go, Marino got his name on the scoresheet with a header from Davidson’s free-kick before Noble struck twice for Leith with two composed finishes in the final five minutes.

Longniddry get revenge

Longniddry Villa Colts under-13s are into the final of the Division 4 AC Taxis Cup after they defeated league rivals Redpath Albion 3-1 in the last four.

Longniddry got revenge for their league defeat earlier in the season to set-up a showdown against bottom club Haddington Athletic Clarets.

It was Redpath though who were in front after four minutes only for Longniddry to score three without reply to book their place in the final.

George Wyeth showed great determination in midfield to win the ball for Longniddry and he set-up Jack Alan who turned his marker on the edge of the box before finding the bottom of the corner for the equaliser.

Into the second period and Ryan Osbourne struck into the top corner from 20-yards out.

With ten minutes left, Blake Dyer swept the ball into the far corner from 18-yards to give his side a shot at silverware.

The joy of six

Fernieside under-16s made it six wins out of six at the top of Division 2 with a comfortable 4-0 win over second placed Penicuik Athletic YFC Blues. The win puts Fernie three points clear with two games in hand as they look to gain promotion to Division 1.

Fernieside settled quickly in the early stages and they went ahead after 15 minutes.

Jamie Baillie teed up Jordan Dolan who slotted past Penicuik’s goalkeeper with real aplomb to give his side an early lead.

Five minutes into the second half and Charlie Adams doubled Fernie’s lead after he coolly rounded Penicuik’s keeper.

Adams was then brought down inside the area and Brendan Ogg put Fernie three ahead from the penalty spot.

Dolan made it four late on after intricate build-up play from Ogg and Brendan Gardiner.