Game of patience pays off for Leith Athletic

Derek Riddell. Picture: Ian Georgeson
Derek Riddell. Picture: Ian Georgeson
Have your say

Leith Athletic manager Derek Riddell praised the patience of his players in their 4-0 win over Capital rivals Civil Service Strollers in the Central Taxis Premier Division.

After a goalless first half, Athletic took the lead through Lewis Martin 90 seconds into the second period.

Sean Murphy scored a debut goal one minute later, but the decisive moment of the match came on the hour when Civil’s Conor Kane was ordered off for a second bookable offence after an alleged push on Mark Leslie inside the area. Grant Burns converted the spot-kick and, in the final five minutes, substitute Euan Campbell completed the scoring.

The result sees Athletic top the Premier Division with their 100 per cent record intact after four games. “I’m delighted we managed to put another three points on the board and I must credit the players for the patience they showed in the game,” said Riddell.

“We were brilliant in the first ten minutes of the second half and blew Civil away with some great football.”

Easthouses Lily were pleased to leave Ainslie Park with a point as they scored a late equaliser in a 2-2 draw with Spartans EOS.

Hayden Crane netted after four minutes for Spartans, but a screaming 25-yard volley from Graeme Young put Lily back on level terms 15 minutes later.

Crane restored Spartans’ advantage on the stroke of half-time, but was dismissed midway through the second period for a second bookable offence.

John Hunter’s precise free-kick from outside the area rescued a point for Lily with two minutes to spare.

Spartans manager Alex Cunningham was left bemused by the sending-off. “It’s hard for me to get my head round it. Hayden was sent off for simulated diving but from what I saw of it, he had his heel clipped.”

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale got the perfect result ahead of their Scottish Cup first-round tie with East Kilbride this weekend, with a resounding 4-1 win at Stirling University EOS.

A double from the clinical Willis Hare and further goals from Kevin Brown and Connor McGregor sealed an emphatic win for Kevin Twaddle’s side.

“We are unbeaten in our last eight games heading into the Scottish Cup so that is fantastic form,” said Twaddle.

Tynecastle have also made an encouraging start in the Premier League and they made it two wins from two after a deserved 2-0 win at Home Park against struggling Coldstream.

Two goals in each half from Jamie Devlin sealed the three points for Stephen McKenzie’s young side, with the hosts reduced to ten men on 55 minutes when Richard Baxendale was ordered off for a dangerous tackle.

Meanwhile, Ormiston manager Brian Johnston hailed his side’s impressive 4-0 win over Kelso United in the Central Taxis First Division.

A hat-trick from Dean Woods saw him take his goal tally to seven goals so far this season, with David Ross netting the third goal two minutes before half-time.

Ormiston endured a tough start to their East of Scotland campaign with a six-goal thrashing at the hands of Leith Athletic in the Qualifying League Cup last month, but a series of recent improved displays culminated in Saturday’s comfortable win.

“It was our best performance of the season so far,” said Johnston. “We were 2-0 up after 15 minutes and even at that early stage, looking reasonably comfortable.”

Ormiston’s task was helped by the sending off of Kelso defender Tommy Hazlett five minutes before half-time after a last-man challenge on winger Dave McEwan, with Woods scoring the resultant spot-kick.

Heriot-Watt University picked up their first three league points of the season as a Calum Milne strike earned a 1-0 win at Eyemouth United.

“I’m delighted to get our first three points on the board,” said students head coach Chris Smith. “We went through a tricky spell at the start of last season where we struggled to find an early win, so to get one under our belts at the start of this season is pleasing.”