Jordan Hopkinson hat-trick for Dunalba sinks Heriot-Watt

Have your say

Jordan Hopkinson inspired Dunalba to a 5-0 home win over Heriot-Watt University with three goals to send his side top of Saturday’s Lothian West league as league leaders South Gyle were on cup duty

Hopkinson scored after just five minutes.

Out wide on the left, everyone expected the striker to send a cross into the box, but he had other ideas and cut inside before arrowing a strike into the bottom corner.

Slack defending from Dunalba almost gifted their opponents an equaliser when Chris Cronin nipped in at the front post, but his shot was well saved by Michael Quinn.

Hopkinson put Dunalba two ahead after just 12 minutes. Strike partner Dario Valente flicked on Craig Brooks’ cross straight to the feet of Hopkinson and he waited for the ball to bounce before sending an unstoppable volley into the top corner from the edge of the box.

Valente then made it 3-0 moments later after Brooks set him up with an inch-perfect pass inside the box, and the striker produced a deft touch to roll the ball into the bottom corner past Watt goalkeeper Stuart Christie.

Dunlaba’s Quinn then had to be alert to palm away Jamie Booth’s deflected shot from the edge of the box which was heading for the top corner as Heriot-Watt looked to reduce the deficit.

Centre-back pairing Fergus Wilson and Andrew Garland were not giving Watt a look-in at goal though, with Cronin finding it difficult on his own up front but the striker did have a chance just before half-time.

On the right-hand side of the box, he did well to evade Wilson to get his shot away but fired into the side netting, much to his frustration.

Two minutes into the second period and Dunalba effectively put the game to bed. A long ball over the top of the defence found Valente and the striker chipped the ball over the head of the advancing Christie for his ninth goal of the season.

Then, on 55 minutes, Hopkinson got his hat-trick after a great team passing move. Dunalba interchanged exquisitely in midfield before Cameron McKenzie - impressive all afternoon for the home side in the middle of the park - played in Hopkinson, who sold Christie with a cheeky dummy before lifting the ball over the keeper.

Heriot-Watt responded well despite being five goals behind and Booth could feel aggrieved at not getting on the scoresheet as he hit the bar three times in the final 15 minutes- the pick of the bunch a Ronaldo-esque free-kick from 25 yards out.

Spartans score six in the cup

Premier 1 side The Spartans eased into the third round of the Centenary Cup with a 6-2 victory over Lothian Star.

Despite the high scoring affair only one goal was scored in the first period, with Spartans missing a host of chances to extend their lead after Nick Reid found the net from six yards out.

Ryoji Sakamoto put Spartans two ahead in the second half when he tapped in at the second attempt after his shot was initially saved by Star’s goalkeeper. Reid extended Spartans’ lead in fortunate circumstances for his second of the afternoon. His first effort was saved but the ball bounced off the head of a Star defender and back to Reid who couldn’t miss from two yards out.

Striker Reid was on fire for Spartans and he sealed his hat-trick with the pick of the bunch from 16 yards to make it 4-0 before Lothian East side Star pulled one back.

Andrew Hornell found the bottom of the corner for Spartans’ fifth and then Reid got his fourth with a fine header across goal to meet Chris MacIntyre’s cross before Star got another consolation late on.

Sunday best for Pavilion

Something had to give when the top two teams in Sunday Premier 1, Pavilion and Bonnyrigg Sports Bar, clashed with both coming into the match without a league loss.

It was the visitors, Pavilion, who stretched their winning streak at the summit to six games and moved three points clear of Bonnyrigg with two games in hand after a 2-0 win.

Pavilion look unstoppable at the moment - conceding only one goal in six league games while putting 27 past their opponents - but they were given a tough test at Mayfield.

In an even first half neither team was able to get a hold on the game with both sides passing the ball around as best as they could in the windy conditions.

Bonnyrigg were shooting with the wind behind them but couldn’t test out Pavilion goalkeeper Scott Walker with little in the way of chances.

With little happening in open play it was going to take something for either side to open the scoring and Pavilion got the elusive first goal from a free-kick midway through the second half.

David Beattie had missed a similar opportunity just moments before but he made no mistake this time round with a left foot strike into the top corner from 18 yards out.

And with 15 minutes to go Pavilion sealed all three points. Frazer Parker was brought down by Bonnyrigg’s goalkeeper who looked to have control of the ball before dropping it at the feet of Parker and in a clumsy attempt at reclaiming the ball he felled the attacker, before Paul Collford converted the spot-kick.