Liberton 15s clear at the summit

Liberton United 15s have a three-point lead at the top of the league
Liberton United 15s have a three-point lead at the top of the league
Have your say

Liberton United 15s moved three points clear at the top of SERYFA Division 2 with a 6-2 win over AC Oxgangs at 
Colinton Mains Park.

With the sides drawing 2-2 at the break, the visitors stepped up a gear in the second half to blow their opponents away, much to the delight of coach Moray Dickson.

“We had the sun in our eyes in the first half and Oxgangs were all over us, but it was a different story in the second,” said 

“The league is really tight but we’re definitely progressing and we’re sitting nicely at the top at the moment.”

Liberton were awarded a 
penalty after just 20 seconds and Sean Gilhooley duly fired the ball into the bottom left 

Kieran Lumsden then doubled Liberton’s lead before Jamie Carrick and Josh Neill hauled Oxgangs level before the break.

However, Liberton regained control after the interval and goals from Grant Chappell, captain Paul Weir and a double from Levi Robertson ensured all three points would be heading the visitors’ way.

Oxgangs’ Brian Lee still believes his side have an opportunity of league glory despite this setback.

He said: “It was fairly even in the first half where we managed to pull the score back and we had them on the ropes before half-time. There are still a lot of games to be played and points to be won and lost so a couple of wins and we could be right in there again.”

Eskmill ease into last four

Eskmill 16s will face Edinburgh City in the semi-finals of the Division 2 League Cup after a comfortable 4-0 victory over Spartans FC Whites at Wellington School.

The home side’s passage into the last four was never in doubt as they controlled the match from start to finish. Blair Innes’ superb effort from 30 yards was aided with a slight deflection as the ball sailed into the back of the net to put 
Eskmill into the lead.

Luka Coyle then displayed great composure to double his side’s advantage with a low-driven strike into the far corner of the net.

Euan Russell then made it three after the break with a curling effort from outside the box before David Wardhaugh showed great trickery to create space for a shot that found the corner of the net.

Eskmill coach Stuart Baxter was pleased with his players’ performance and hopes to repeat last season’s cup success.

Baxter said: “It was a good performance – we played some nice football and never looked to have any problems.

“We won this competition last year so we hope to do the same again this year, but there aren’t any easy games in this division.”

Haddington 19s run amok

Haddington Athletic Colts 19s secured their place in the second round of the David Murray Cup after a thumping 6-0 triumph over Edinburgh United at Paties Road.

The East Lothian side will now meet Edinburgh United Juniors at the same venue with a place in the quarter-finals up for grabs.

Myles Doig fired the solitary goal of the opening 45 minutes to put the visitors ahead at the break, but it was the second half where Haddington really laid their mark.

Darren Handling made it two before Murray Lorimer converted a penalty after a foul in the box to make it 3-0.

Steven Kean then scored the pick of the bunch with Haddington’s fourth as he showed great technique to find the back of the net with a looping shot.

Handling soon made it five with a neat finish and the striker completed his hat-trick with a sixth to spell the end of a sorry afternoon for United.

Haddington coach Ian 
MacDonald said: “We played well enough and got our goals.

“I would like to think we have a good chance of reaching the final as we’ve been very happy with the way things have been going in what is our first season at 19s.”