Local football: Dalkeith power into semi-finals

Dalkeith MW held on for victory at Saughton. Picture: Neil McGlade
Dalkeith MW held on for victory at Saughton. Picture: Neil McGlade
Have your say

Dalkeith MW edged out Premier Division 1 rivals Edinburgh South Vics 3-2 on the road at Saughton to set up a semi-final clash with East Linton in the Logan Cup.

Both sides were missing key personnel through a combination of injuries and suspensions, but it was the away outfit who showed the greater composure in front of goal. The match kicked off at frantic pace and it wasn’t long before the first goal arrived of the afternoon.

Dalkeith’s Aiden Duncan picked up a loose ball on the left touchline and cut in before unleashing a swerving drive into the top right corner to give the visitors an early lead.

However, the home side responded three minutes later when Paul Murray toe-poked the ball into the back of the net from 12 yards to level things up.

Murray’s equaliser didn’t deflate the Midlothian side and they soon found themselves ahead for a second time with the third strike of the game after ten minutes.

Mark Brown’s surging run from the heart of the midfield took him into the home side’s penalty area and he cleverly placed the ball beyond Graeme Lennie in the Vics goal.

Vics created the clearer opportunities after the break but were left to rue their inability to convert as Dalkeith made it 3-1 with just five minutes remaining. With the home side’s defence completely stretched, Craig Brown sent his pass through to Christopher Wright, and the No.9 placed his shot past Lennie. The hosts did apply some late pressure, but not even Lee Watson’s strike from close range was enough as Dalkeith emerged victorious.

Dalkeith coach John Taylor said: “I’m very pleased with the win. We’ve got as good a chance getting to the cup final so we’d love to go on and win it now.”

East Linton in control

East Linton cruised into the Logan Cup semi-finals after a 3-0 victory over Blackridge Vale of Craig at Memorial Park.

The East Lothian outfit now face Dalkeith MW on Saturday at Saughton Enclosure for a place in this year’s final.

Jamie Jackson opened the scoring after a cool finish into the top corner before Martin Ferguson doubled his side’s lead before the interval with a strike equally as good as Jackson’s first. Ferguson then completed the scoring after the break when he showed great agility to volley home a third.

Salters enjoy sweet win

Salters Athletic moved to the top of Edinburgh East division after a 3-1 defeat of Lothian Star at Meadowmill. However, both Inverleith and Haddington are only one point and two points adrift respectively and have games in hand over Athletic.

Lothian Star went ahead after only five minutes, but the visitors were level before the break when Lewis McAndrew’s pass was gathered by Paul Milligan, who showed great composure to slot the ball home.

Athletic went 2-1 ahead with the goal of the game from Stephen Houlihan. The winger gathered the ball near to the touchline before moving forward and netting a spectacular strike from 25 yards.

Athletic made sure of their victory in added time when Darren Bell slotted the ball into the far corner for number three when through on a one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

Athletic’s first goalscorer Milligan is hoping he and his team-mates can secure promotion this season. “If we can finish third and get that promotion place then that would be an achievement far beyond what we thought we would make after such a terrible start to the season.”