Love finds a way for Tranent Athletic

Tranent Athletic
Tranent Athletic
Have your say

Tranent Athletic ran out 2-1 winners in an end-to-end league clash against Roseburn Thistle at The Gyle.

The visitors showed their attacking intent early on and almost got off to the ideal start when John Brash was through on goal. After cutting inside from the right, his shot could only find the side-netting.

Despite being subdued early on, Roseburn showed no signs of rolling over and started to build momentum. James Robson’s ambitious shot from 25 yards almost caught goalkeeper Stuart Ferrier off guard but he managed to palm it away.

Then, on the counter, Tranent went ahead thanks to Brash. Latching on to a cross-field ball, the number nine skipped past two challenges before firing into the bottom corner.

After wasting some good chances, Roseburn levelled with 20 minutes left From a set piece, the ball broke to James Donohue on the edge of the 18-yard box and he found the net with a well-placed finish.

It didn’t deter Tranent though, as they kept pressing and found a winner with ten minutes to go. Steven Love’s corner found sub Scott Bathgate at the back post and he headed in to give the visitors a hard-fought victory.

Bell tolls for Links

East Linton progressed to the third round of the Centenary Cup after a convincing 4-0 win away to Links United. After good early possession, the visitors got the breakthrough they were looking for.

Craig Bell brought the ball down the right flank before firing a cross-cum-shot into the penalty area. It completely deceived the Links goalkeeper and flew into the far corner of the net.

Despite squandering a handful of chances before the break, the hosts couldn’t capitalise and East Linton doubled their lead five minutes into the second half. Bell again attacked down the right, cut inside and drove a powerful strike from an angle into the goal.

The away side were comfortably on top and it did not take them long to grab a third goal. Left-back Ali Leslie ventured forward from defence before cutting into the area and burying a shot beyond the keeper’s reach. With 20 minutes to go it would have been easy for Linton to sit back and see the game out. Not content with three goals, however, they continued to attack and managed a fourth before the end thanks to Stuart Laing’s well-struck effort from range.

Vale too hot for Currie

Heriot Vale saw off Balerno Athletic in the second round of the Centenary Cup with a 3-1 win at Currie.

It was the hosts, however, who started the better of the two sides when they took an early lead through Scott Nicholls.

A long ball into the area was carried by the wind and Balerno’s Nicholls reacted quickest to lift the ball over the goalie.

Chances were few and far between for long periods of the game, with the wind having a major impact on the flow of the tie.

With ten minutes to go, the home side were desperate to hang on to their 1-0 lead but just couldn’t see the game out. Scott Aitken got up well in the box to head in a crucial late equaliser.

It was enough to force extra time and it was here the visitors really upped their game. Patty Bonthrone put Heriot ahead for the first time when he volleyed a spectacular effort from the edge of the penalty area.

Then, after Balerno were reduced to ten men, Bonthrone grabbed his side’s third after he latched on to Adam Robertson’s through ball and smashed it into the net.