Newcraighall Leith Vics win Stewart Brien Cup

Newcraighall Leith Vics Under-13s
Newcraighall Leith Vics Under-13s
Have your say

A TWO-MINUTE salvo from James Smith handed Newcraighall Leith Vics Under-13s the Stewart Brien Cup as they came from behind to beat Edina Hibs 2-1.

A healthy crowd had turned up for the cup final at Meadowbank 3G and they left savouring some entertaining moments.

In the first half the combination of James Henderson and Yrick Gallantes for Newcraighall down the left side caused Edina a few problems.

Indeed, after five minutes Newcraighall hit the bar. Attacking full-back Henderson whipped a great high cross into the box to John Robertson, who hit it first time into the ground, only to see the ball hit the underside of the crossbar and bounce right on the line before being cleared to safety.

However, it was Edina who broke the deadlock on 15 minutes. A corner came in from the right and moments later the ball was crossed back in from the left, with Lewis Sives unmarked at the back post to side-foot high into the net from close range for 1-0.

In the second half Newcraighall responded well. After around 20 minutes, Smith had a great chance to level. A corner arrived from the left and he stuck his right leg out at the back post to reach the ball, getting a touch on it but not enough to force it in.

He made amends just a minute later with the equaliser. A corner was whipped in from the right side and found Smith in the 18-yard area, who made no mistake with a perfectly-hit volley high into the net.

Less than a minute later and Smith made it 2-1. A ball was played up the pitch and, with the Edina goalkeeper being put under pressure by the attacker, he missed his kick, allowing Smith to go past him.

With an Edina defender on the line, Smith coolly slotted home to give his side the lead and ultimately win them the cup.

Rose bloom in semi-final

Bonnyrigg Rose 96 reached the under-19 Division 2 League Cup Final with a 3-1 victory over Salvesen in the last-four tie at Forrester High School.

With Rose missing several chances in the first half of the fixture, it was perhaps surprising that the teams went in at half-time locked at 0-0.

Rose came out and got their reward early on in the second half, with Calum Preston scoring from close range following a good move.

They created a cushion for themselves after the hour mark by extending their lead. After some good play on the left channel by Willie White, he played in a cross that hit off an unfortunate Salvesen defender and went into the net as an own goal.

Soon after their place in the final was sealed as Connor Brunton finished with composure to give his side a 3-0 lead.

There wasn’t time for a comeback, but with five minutes left, Salvesen got themselves a consolation goal when Harry Wainless scored via a deflection.

Rose will face Hutchison Vale Colts in the final and the club’s John Henderson said: “We have only played them once and it was their first after coming in late to the league.

“They have recruited more players since then so will be a lot stronger, but if we can play to our best we will have a good chance, so I’m looking forward to the occasion.”

Hutchie hit Fernie for six

Hutchison Vale Under-16s will have a pop at Scottish Cup glory after a thumping 6-0 semi-final victory over Fernieside.

Hutchie went into the game with a 100 per cent record in Division 1 and Fernieside comfortably top of Division 2.

Hutchie opened the scoring in a tight first half. Gabriel Auriemma was brought on and within a few minutes headed home from a left-wing cross.

Fernieside then went down to ten men just before half-time and, thereafter, Hutchie dominated. They made it 2-0 when, following a corner and saved header from Kieran Young, Auriemma got his double with the rebound.

Cameron Begbie then made it 3-0, moving in at the near post to finish well.

By the time Begbie’s set-piece found Cal Sheridan in the box to fire home, the game was just about wrapped up, but Vale didn’t take their foot off the gas, netting another two goals. Firstly Inness Goodall flicked home deftly from eight yards and then Aaron Currie rounded the advancing goalkeeper to seal their place in a third Scottish Cup final in a row.