Reds leave City in a Black mood

Bonnyrigg Rose Reds 16s
Bonnyrigg Rose Reds 16s
Have your say

Bonnyrigg Rose Reds 16s grabbed a hard-earned 3-1 away win to Edinburgh City Blacks in Division 3.

On a brisk afternoon at Forrester High School, Rose started strongly and had their best opportunity to take the lead after 15 minutes. Stephen Fuller delivered an accurate cross from the right, but Declan Murphy miscued his shot and hit it straight at the keeper.

Bonnyrigg continued to look promising and were soon rewarded for their persistence in attack. A free-kick from the right-hand side found Fraser Spratt in the area and, after he had scuffed the initial shot, he made no mistake with his second from five yards.

After the break, Edinburgh City got into the game and began to look threatening. They pressed higher up the pitch and, in the 57th minute, they levelled. Michael Kavanagh swung in a corner from the left-hand side and incredibly it evaded everyone including the keeper and sneaked just inside the post. Bonnyrigg had showed determination all afternoon and weren’t going to settle for a point, however. Five minutes later, they regained their lead through Cameron McEwan’s placed effort at the near post before grabbing a third at the death through Daniel Bastianelli.

Kieran is Nitten hero

Newtongrange Star Under-15s scored late on to beat North Merchiston 3-2 in a thrilling Division 3 encounter at Harrison Park.

After a fairly even first ten minutes, the visitors struck the first blow. They came forward on the counter-attack with Tony Glodek setting up Kevin Clark to chip the ball over the goalkeeper with a neat half-volleyed finish.

Merchiston levelled things up with a timely goal just before the break when David Marshall seized upon a loose ball in the area to find the net.

After the break, Nitten restored their lead through Danial Taylor. Kieran Williamson’s free-kick from 25 yards was well saved by the Merchie keeper before Taylor pounced on the rebound to score.

Again, however, the hosts fought back and made it 2-2. A shot from the edge of the area was saved by the Newtongrange goalkeeper and Marshall was there to knock the rebound into the back of the net.

Late on, the visitors rallied and grabbed what proved to be the winning goal. Darin Waugh earned Newtongrange a freekick on the left-hand side which Williamson aimed at the far post. The ball evaded everyone and nestled inside the post.

Laverty can’t stop Tynie

Tynecastle 17s ran out 5-3 winners against Leith Athletic in a goal-packed South East Region Cup third-round clash at Saughton.

The hosts went on the offensive from the start and by the second minute they were 1-0 up. Arron Nugent’s cross from the right found Tommy Patterson, who tapped in at the back post. Soon after, Nugent played a nice one-two with Patterson and then crossed into Matthew McKenzie. On the edge of the six-yard box, he made no mistake by smashing the ball in to double Tynie’s lead.

Ten minutes later, Leith pulled one back. Sam Laverty was in the right place at the right time to tap in a corner at the front post.

That was quickly undone, though, as just before the break Patterson hit a peach of a strike from 25 yards which flew over the keeper’s head and in.

Leith pulled another back after the break through Laverty again, but any hope was quickly extinguished when Ben Gardner scored goals four and five to put the hosts out of sight.

Laverty grabbed his hat-trick late on with a fine piece of skill and a good finish in the area, but there was no way back for Leith.