Seniors: Twaddle’s men move into second

Sean Wringe, right, was felled in the box resulting in a penalty that led to the decisive goal. Picture: Julie Bull (library pic)
Sean Wringe, right, was felled in the box resulting in a penalty that led to the decisive goal. Picture: Julie Bull (library pic)
Have your say

Kevin Twaddle hailed his Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale side as they shot up to joint-second in the Central Taxis East of Scotland Premier Division table with a 2-1 win over Leith Athletic.

Twaddle saw goals by John McDonald and John Williams – the latter a 93rd-minute winner from the penalty spot – secure a fifth successive victory for Lothian, with the win maintaining Twaddle’s 100 per cent record as boss.

“That’s five out of five since the new management team took over,” said the former Hearts midfielder. “The boys are doing great and really enjoying their football.”

McDonald gave Lothian the lead on 28 minutes with a strike from 15 yards, but Euan Campbell struck a second-half equaliser for Leith with a penalty.

In the dying seconds, however, Sean Wringe was felled in the box and Lothian’s Williams kept his nerve at the spot-kick to net the decisive goal.

Craigroyston assistant manager Gary Sutherland insists his own side and Tynecastle – both level on 19 points with Lothian in second place – remain strong title challengers after a 2-2 draw between the sides at St Mark’s Park.

“Both teams are serious challengers for the league and the game was played in a good spirit,” said Sutherland. “A draw was a fair result, and we are still very much in the mix.”

Craig Dickson gave the hosts a second-half lead, but Tynie turned the game around as Muir netted and Michael Dick scored on his debut.

Craigie equalised in the final minute when a sweeping move on the flank involving Nick Rendell and Paul Lynch culminated in the latter squaring for John Dunn to convert.

Tynie secretary Alistair Wilkie said: “We were disappointed to concede a late equaliser, but a draw was a fair result.”

At Marine Drive, Spartans ensured Civil Service Strollers remain joint-bottom of the table with a 4-0 win that left Strollers boss Ross McNeil despondent. “It’s another hard one for us to take, but we knew the challenge when we took on the job,” said McNeil. “For us, it’s all about rebuilding for next season.”

Edinburgh University missed the chance to break into the top half of the table with a 2-2 draw at home to Coldstream, while Heriot-Watt University suffered a home loss to leaders Stirling University.

In the First Division, Hibs extended their lead at the top of the table to ten points with a 1-1 draw at Burntisland.

Second-placed Easthouses Lily were on cup duty and were beaten 3-1 by Berwick Rangers Reserves in Qualifying League Section D.