Tynecastle 19s bow out of Scottish semis

Tynecastle FC 19s lost out to Broxburn
Tynecastle FC 19s lost out to Broxburn
Have your say

Tynecastle FC 19s bowed out of the Scottish Cup at the semi-final stage with a narrow 2-1 defeat to Broxburn Athletic Colts at St Marks Park.

The Edinburgh side, who were 2-0 down at the break, fought back in the second half but couldn’t break down the stubborn defence of the visitors who held on to progress to what will be their first ever Scottish Cup final.

After an adrenaline-fuelled opening ten minutes both sides began to settle down and focus on the task ahead. It was Broxburn who adjusted first, and minutes after forcing a good stop from Tynie keeper Darren Mitchell, they took the lead.

Jordan Grieve’s free kick from half way found the unmarked Scott Lochrie six yards out and he nodded the ball into the back of the net.

As expected the hosts rallied and created an abundance of chances as they looked to get on level terms. With 20 minutes on the clock they came forward and from the right-hand side Jack Philp played a low ball across the area. Stephen Scott slid in but he couldn’t quite make enough contact to divert the ball in.

The pressure was a sign of things to come for Broxburn and they had to be focused as Tynie created another opening five minutes later. Matthew Graham slipped a pass through the visitors’ backline to Anton Dowds but Craig Livingstone in the away goal was alert to it and closed down the number eight.

The hosts didn’t let up and again looked to cause problems at the heart of the Broxburn defence. Ten minutes before the break Tynie again came close to levelling the scores. Stephen Scott cut the ball back to Connor Brydon 10 yards out and he looked certain to score but somehow a combination of the visitors’ defence and Livingstone’s goalkeeping was enough to clear the danger.

Despite edging things Tynie weren’t on level terms and it was another set piece that unlocked their defence as Broxburn grabbed a crucial second on the stroke of half time. Jonni Turner’s free kick was taken from a similar position to Grieve’s for the first goal, and his delivery was equally as good. Leon Gopal got up well to head into the top corner.

It was going to be an uphill battle for the hosts in the second half but Tynie came out looking determined and it didn’t take long before they eventually put the ball in the net.

A dinked ball in from the right-hand side found Graham and he glanced in a header to give the home side hope of reaching the final.

Five minutes later the Edinburgh outfit, with the momentum in their favour, looked to trouble the Broxburn defence once again. Barry Hogg sent a well-weighted pass through to Calum Helm in the area but defender Marcus Millar did enough to put him off as he went to hit the target.

Substitute Kyle Scott then delivered a corner in from the left-hand side that found Dowds at the back post but he could only succeed in putting the ball over the crossbar.

Scott then had a chance himself when he got on the end of David Henderson’s corner but his effort was just wide of Livingstone’s post.

As the minutes counted down towards the end of the semi-final the hosts tried desperately to find a goal that would take the game to extra time. Despite their efforts in the closing minutes, the visitors’ defence held firm and the Edinburgh side were unable to find another opening as the referee blew to call time on Tynecastle’s Scottish Cup hopes.

Tynecastle FC 19s: Darren Mitchell, Ewan Herriot, Bradd Campsie, Matthew Quinn, Craig Russell, Barry Hogg, Jack Philp, Anton Dowds, Connor Brydon, Stephen Scott, Matthew Graham, Chris Burt, David Henderson, Kyle Scott, Ciaron Small, Calum Helm.

Broxburn Athletic Colts 19s: Craig Livingstone, Leon Gopal, Kyle Gray, Jordan Grieve, Jamie Henderson, Ryan Lees, Scott Lochrie, Jordan Sweeney, Ross Nimmo, Jonni Turner, Marcus Millar, Greg Snedden, James McGregor, Lamin Touray, Kyle Butt, Fraser Cormack.