Tynecastle’s ‘great response’ pleases Dalgleish

Ousman See scored a hat-trick for Tynie (library pic)
Ousman See scored a hat-trick for Tynie (library pic)
Have your say

WINS for Tynecastle and Craigroyston resulted in a four-point gap opening up between the top three teams in the East of Scotland Premier Division and the chasing pack.

Tynie boss Dougie Dalgleish welcomed a “great response” from his players, who made a sensational comeback to win 4-3 over Heriot-Watt University after going 3-0 down by half-time at Riccarton.

Second-bottom Heriot-Watt, having raced into a their three-goal lead, seemed to be in a comfortable position after the break, but a hat-trick by Tynecastle’s Ousman See, who has now scored eight goals in his last four games, and a single strike by Tony Muir resulted in an unlikely away win.

Dalgleish – whose side were also 3-0 down by half time in their previous match, which resulted in a 3-2 home defeat by Stirling University – called on his charges to “start at the start” in future weeks.

He said: “We were 3-0 down at half-time and words were exchanged. We got a great response from the players and totally dominated the second half. But, we do need to learn to start at the start of each match.”

Craigroyston, without a manager after Ross McNeil resigned on the morning of their home clash with Civil Service Strollers, made light work of their opponents to record a 4-0 win that keeps Craigie in second place, four points off leaders Stirling Uni.

However, fellow Capital club Edinburgh University have faltered in their bid to challenge at the top after a 2-1 reverse at Spartans in which Finn Daniels scored for the students. Uni boss Dorian Ogunro argues that, since the advent of the Lowland League, the East of Scotland set-up has suffered a dearth of top quality match officials and a more consistent absence of linesmen. Having made such a point previously, Ogunro was again irked by a series of decisions made by the referee, who operated without any assistants.

“Spartans were the better side, mentally and physically tougher,” admitted Ogunro, “but, as usual, the standard of refereeing was awful for both sides, and the lack of linesmen didn’t help.”

League leaders Stirling Uni led 1-0 at half-time in their meeting with Coldstream and retook the lead after the break following Matthew Travis’s equaliser for Streamers. However, the Borders club struck twice late on, through Sean Simpson and Aaron Punton to consign Stirling to their first league defeat of the season.