Walker the hero as Pavilion go through

Pavilion FC
Pavilion FC
Have your say

Pavilion came from two goals down to knock LEAFA rivals Gilmerton FC out of the Scottish Cup on penalties at Forrester 3G.

With this second round tie ending 3-3, Pavilion goalkeeper Scott Walker proved to be the hero, saving two of three Gilmerton penalties to progress 3-0 after the decisive spot-kicks.

Pavilion appeared to be heading for an early exit as goals by Ross Tranter and Iain Young had Gilmerton in the driving seat. But Simon Walton’s tap-in for Pavilion gave them a fighting chance going into the half-time break.

Young then missed from 12 yards as he was given the chance to put Gilmerton 3-1 up from the spot before Graeme Cummings struck back to make it two-apiece. Cummings looked to have won it for the Premier Division 1 side when he made it 3-2 with a neat finish, but Ryan Moore had other ideas as he levelled it up at 3-3 with time ticking down.

The match went straight to penalties, and a combination of composure and goalkeeper Walker proved to be the difference between the sides.

Pavilion player/coach Stuart Paterson was relieved to have come through the tie and is hoping for an away trip in the third round.

He said: “We had an away tie last year to West Kilbride and it was a good laugh with the travelling and what have you, so it would be good for this to happen again this year.

“It was a great comeback but I think we deserved to win 

Heriot- Watt still unbeaten

Heriot-Watt continued their impressive start to the new season with a 4-1 victory over Forth Community Amateurs in the Edinburgh West divisional encounter at Riccarton.

Watt’s victory over their South Lanarkshire-based opponents was their third league win from four, moving them into the top half of the table.

Midfielder Matt Murchan, who notched his side’s third goal, is pleased with how the players in the squad have gelled and hopes their good run of form continues.

He said: “We are playing pretty well at the moment and are getting better with every game. We are undefeated in the league so far and have an aim to win the title. We didn’t play at our best yesterday, but were good enough to get the victory.”

Chris Cronin and Calum Keenan fired Watt into a 2-0 lead before Forth trialist, Thomas Collick, scored with a well-placed shot on the turn ten minutes before the interval. Borja Sevilla then saw red for the home side after lashing out with a kick on an opponent, forcing Watt to play the entire second half with ten men.

However, Sevilla’s stupidity didn’t prove costly as Murchan added a third for Watt with a neat header and Cronin completed the scoring with a fourth and his second of the match.

Forth secretary Andrew Henderson is satisfied enough with how the club are adjusting to their first season in the Lothian and Edinburgh amateur football set-up.

Henderson said: “We’re doing ok. It’s our first season but we have a great bunch of lads who just want to play football.”

Tollcross edge out students

Tollcross Thistle picked up a
precious three points as they moved into fifth position in Premier Division 1 after a hard-fought 4-2 victory against 
Edinburgh University at 

However, Tollcross manager Alan McKay paid tribute to his side’s opponents for making his players work hard for their 

McKay said: “They (Edinburgh Uni) were really impressive and moved the ball about well. It was a great game for the neutrals and could have gone either way. It was end-to-end stuff but we just had enough to get us the win.”

It was the University who grabbed the initiative after Illya Stoev struck first, but John Lawson equalised for Tollcross from the penalty spot.

Recent signing Jason Wood then fired Tollcross into a 2-1 lead at half-time before Phil McNicholas squared things up at 2-2.

However, the visitors had that extra dimension to their play in the second half and Wood knocked home his second of the match to put Tollcross 3-2 ahead.

Adam Perry made sure of the points when he notched a fourth.